Chapter 9: Lunch

Aria's P-O-V

Ring!

The lunch bell called my name. I was starved. I had second lunch. I didn't know where the cafeteria was, but Jawan led me to it. I sat with him and a few of his friends.

They all looked how I used to. Glasses, pimples, and braces. They had nerd written all over them.

"Guys, this is Aria. Aria this is Steven, Delilah, Jason, and Heather."

"Nice to meet you all," I said.

They all waved.

"So, Aria. Are you new here?" Jason asked.

"Yeah."

"Oh. What school did you go to before?" Delilah inquired.

"Norwood High," I said picking at my mac and cheese.

"The food is disgusting here," Jawan joked.

"Tell me about it."

I pushed my tray away. Up ahead I saw someone coming this way. It was that guy I met from earlier. Lamar.

He stopped and sat right next to me. Everyone seemed confused. I faced him.

"Hey," I said smiling.

"Hey," Lamar said staring at me.

"Uh... Did you have something to tell me?" I asked feeling a little awkward.

"Oh. Sorry. I was just admiring your beauty," He replied biting his lip.

I looked down feeling silly for even blushing so hard. He lifted my chin up with his finger.

"Something so beautiful shouldn't be hiding like that."

My face was a rosy red when he said that. He laughed and I heard Jawan clear his throat. I turned around to see him looking in another direction. I turned my attention back to Lamar. He took my hand.

"So, uh, you want to come and sit over at my table, Ma?"

"I don't know. I was kind of sitting with them..."

I heard him sigh in disappointment then he pulled his hand away, "I understand."

"No. Let me just see if it's okay with them."

I looked at Jason, Delilah, Heather, and Steven. They gave me a thumbs up. I smiled and looked at Jawan. He looked upset. We had a stare-down until he finally let out a long sigh.

"Go ahead," he said reluctantly.

I didn't want to have a whole debate session so I took that and ran.

"Let's go," I stated grabbing my bag.

Lamar took my hand and led me over to a table filled with jocks and cheerleaders. They all looked up at me. I noticed Khalil was at the table too.

"Guys, this is Aria," Lamar said introducing me.

I waved shyly and everyone said hello.

"Sit down," Lamar said smiling and holding my hand for balance as I squeezed my way into the seat.

He sat next to me and threw his arm around my waist. He pulled me closer and placed his hand on my hip. I turned to look at him and he smiled at me, making me melt with just one look into his gorgeous green eyes.

It was awkward sitting there at first, but I began to feel more comfortable as we all started up conversations of different subjects.

"Having fun?" Lamar whispered in my ear.

I smiled and nodded.