Chapter 5: New School, New Me?

Aria's P-O-V

I woke up early. It was my first day at a new school. Katelyn and Isaiah "snuck" into my room. Just for fun, I pretended to be asleep. Just then, they jumped on me and I roared, snatching them up.

At that point, they were both giggling and I started tickling them. My sister soon came in.

"There you guys are. See? I told you not to disturb the monster while she slept," she said smiling.

We hopped off of the bed.

"I'm going to take them to school. I just wanted them to say bye to you first," my sister informed me.

"Bye, Aria," the two tikes said hugging me.

They soon left and I was in the house alone. I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth then to take a shower. I turned on some music as I began to choose my outfit and get dressed. Elle Varner's I Don't Care played.

When I was done, I realized that I was almost late. I quickly grabbed a bagel and began walking to the bus stop. I got on the bus and it was a 15 minute ride to school. Once I got there, I immediately started to look for Jawan.

I didn't see him though. I wish I did. I scanned the faces of everyone who came into view. No Jawan in sight. Not even Khalil. I went straight to the office to pick up my schedule then into the bathroom to check my hair and apply some make up. I looked in the mirror and thought about it.

"It's no use," I whispered to myself.

I tried to be peppy about starting over. I thought that maybe moving would give me a second shot at everything. But it's not.

I'm still the same me. Nothing feels different.

I wiped the gunk off of my face, applying nothing but chapstick. I walked out of the bathroom feeling unwanted and alone as always.

I looked around the hallway, no one was out here. I checked the time and realized that classes has started and that I was late. Great.

I walked quickly, trying to get to my first period class. I didn't know where I was going, but I was determined to find it. I wasn't really paying attention to where I was going so I surprisingly bumped into someone.

"Sorry!" I said in shock and embarrassment.

"It's okay," they said, "Hi, I'm Lamar."

"Um, I'm Aria. I'm kind of new here so do you mind helping me find my class?" I asked feeling a little sheepish.

"Sure, uh..." He pointed to my schedule and I handed it to him. "English with Mr. Monroe. You're in luck. That's exactly where I was going. Come on."

I smiled, "Thank you."

We walked to the class in silence. I had no idea what to exactly talk to him about. When we got to the class, he opened the door for me. I walked in.

"Young lady," said the teacher. "Why are you late?"

"Well, I'm Aria. The new girl," I replied nervously.

"Ah, have a seat."

I looked around and noticed Jawan was in the class. He was looking at me. I saw an empty desk next to him, then took a seat there. I gave him a warm smile then turned to pay attention to the class, but I still felt his gaze on me.

When I got settled, I realized that Lamar didn't come in. I thought we had the same class...