Chapter 23: The Good and The Bad

Serene's P-O-V

I was up in my room with Kwame and we were studying for our English test that was tomorrow when I felt the wind from him slamming his book shut. I looked over at him.

"Now we both know you didn't invite me here to just study," he whispered crawling over to me.

I bit my lip, "You're right. I didn't. Come here."

We started to make out and I let his hands roam a little, until I felt him trying to put it up my shirt.

"Kwame, stop!" I said tearing away from the kiss.

"What is your problem?"

"My problem is that I don't want to go that far, but you keep pushing me to."

"Are you ever going to-"

There was a knock at my bedroom door that cut Kwame off. I assumed it was Jalil.

I put up my index finger, "Hold that thought."

I walked over to the door and opened it up to see Khalil instead. I should have know better. Jalil never does knock.

"Hey Serene. Can I come in?"

I looked back at Kwame who was trying to see who was at the door, "Who's that, babe?"

"Um..."

"Oh. Did I interrupt something?" Khalil asked.

"Well-"

Kwame cut me off, "Yes you did, Sharieff! What are you doing here?"

"I was just here to see my friend."

"Friend? She hates you. Don't you remember what you did to her? You hurt her!"

"Yeah... But the memory of her forgiving me is more fresh on my mind."

"You forgave this fool?" Kwame said to me, twisting up his face.

I let out a sigh, "Yes, Kwame. I accepted his apology and we're friends again. So what?"

"So what? Baby, are you forgetting that he is the same guy that made you biggest tramp of this generation?"

"I know, but I can't stay angry forever."

"Well, I can," Kwame said grabbing his stuff then walking out.

I exhaled loudly, "I'm sorry about that, Khalil."

"It's, uh, fine. I'm just going to go. I should have called first or something. Forgot it's not exactly like the old days anymore where it was just you and I."

"Um, yeah. Well, I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow. Right."

I gave him a lingering hug then waved goodbye as he made his way out of the house. I closed the door to my room again then began to study. Shortly after my room door flew open and in came Jalil.

"So, what's up sister? Why aren't you up here with Khalil?" He asked sitting next to me on my bed.

"Because I wanted to study alone."

"Oh. So is that why Koala left?"

"His name is Kwame."

"I know."

I laughed and shook my head, "Kwame left because he didn't feel too comfortable with Khalil around."

"And that is exactly why I sent him up here."

"Jalil, why are you so mean to Kwame?"

"Serene, why are you so nice to him?"

"Because he's a sweetheart who is actually there for me."

"That's not what the school is saying."

"What?"

"Nothing. All I'm trying to do is protect you and I suggest you take my warning. Khalil may have done you dirty, but I know that his heart is in the right place and that his intentions are good. That Kwame dude, he isn't the one for you, Serene."

"I know you care about my well-being, Jalil... But let me handle my love life, alright?"

"Okay. I'll let you do your thing, baby sis. But don't say I didn't let you know. And just remember that I always got your back, alright?"

"Yeah, okay, Jalil. Enough of the mushy stuff. I'm not trying to get into my feels tonight."

"Cool with me," He hit me in the head with a pillow then began to laugh as he headed for the door.

I threw one at him, but missed, "I'm going to get you! Just watch, 'Lil!"

"I'll be waiting, sister!"

I got up and shut the door. He's so crazy, but I love him.