Chapter 25: Officially the Worst

Aria's P-O-V

I honestly didn't want to go to school today.

"Aria, is something bothering you?" I heard Shay say with her eyes still fixed on the road.

Because of the situation that happened yesterday, my sister had said she would take me to school for safety reasons.

"No. I, uh, I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"Listen, if it's about that Lamar boy and it's really bothering you, I could call in."

"No! I mean, like you always said, 'You can't let a boy get in the way of your studies', right?"

She slowly nodded her head and responded in an uneasy tone, "Alright. Well, I'm picking you up from school, as well, today. Oh, and just to be on the safe side, I'll bring the bat."

I laughed and shook my head, "Okay."

She pulled up into the school's drop-off area and I made my way into the school. To be honest, I was afraid. I was sure he wanted to talk to me. I woke up to a bunch of missed calls. And a missed call is what got me in this position in the first place. He'll be sort of difficult to escape from.

"Aria!" I heard someone call.

I twirled around to see Serene coming towards me with her arms spread wide. I smiled and we flung our arms around each other, hugging as if it's been years since we've been in each other's presence.

"So what's been up, girlie?"

I felt as if I could tell her anything. But she's known Lamar longer than I have, so I'm not sure if she's the best person to talk about the situation to. But there's only one way to find out.

I lowered my voice a little so she could only hear, "Well, a lot, actually. But if I tell you, you cannot tell anyone."

"I promise. I won't tell a soul."

"Alright," I took her hand and pulled her over to a less crowded area then spoke in a whisper. "Lamar and I are sort of complicated."

"How? You guys seemed so happy?" She murmured back.

"He, um, he almost beat me yesterday."

"What?"

"I know, I know. I'm just thankful that Khalil was there."

"Khalil?"

"Yeah. He fought Lamar off. I'm really grateful about it. Speaking of Khalil, have you seen him around?"

"Nope. Khalil and I don't really get along too much."

"How come?"

"I mean, it's a long and complicated story."

"Hey, mind if I come over?"

"Come over?"

"Yeah, Khalil told me that you lived right across the street from me. Maybe while I'm there, you can tell me about why you don't get along with him."

"Wow."

"Wow, what?"

"You are the first person who cared so much about our backstory. Well, next to Kwame."

"That's your boyfriend, right?"

She nodded her head. Afterward, it was silence between us. I looked out into the hallway and saw Heather with Jawan. Boy, I sure hope he's happy. Their hands were locked together and they were smiling. I stared and he made eye contact with me.

"That's Khalil's brother, you know."

I looked at Serene. I guess she noticed I was staring.

"I know."

"Looks like he's got a girlfriend. That's nice. He was a cool kid."

"Good to know. Hey, I got to go, okay?"

"Um, alright."

I got up and went to pursue Jawan. Until I saw the last person that I wanted to see.

"Well, well, well. You miss me?"

"Leave me alone, Lamar."

"Give me a good reason why I shouldn't beat you up right now."

I looked down as my palms got clammy. I shifted my bag from my left shoulder to my right and looked back up at him. His eyes looked impatient. It was as if, if I was to open my my mouth, his fist would be ready to shut me up. He was determined to tear me apart.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked as I held back tears of fear.

"You're my girlfriend and you were being utterly disrespectful towards me."

"In what way?"

"Talking back is one," he replied getting in my face.

"Leave her alone, Lamar!" I heard someone yell.

"You again! Come on, Sharieff. Can't you learn to stay out of other people's business."

By now, there were eyes watching from everywhere. To be specific, Jawan was watching. And he seemed to not even want to partake in my defense.

Khalil stepped in between Lamar and I, "She is my business."

"Aria, what is he talking about?"

I didn't reply to him. I just stood with my head down in pure horror.

"The girl doesn't want to be bothered with you. Leave her alone."

"Aria, baby, are you really going to let him come between us right now?"

"Lamar, there are so many things wrong with that statement that I can't even begin to think-"

"What's wrong with it, huh? You are my girlfriend. The whole school knows it. So what? You sneaking around behind my back?"

"Lamar, you know I wouldn't do that!"

"Do I? Do I really?"

A tear slipped down my right cheek and I sniffled, "I guess you'll never know."

I stormed off, pushing through a crowd of people that wanted to witness physical combat. I don't know if they ever got it. But I do know that I didn't want to see it. I went into the bathroom and locked myself in a stall.

"Aria..." I heard a voice whisper.

I knew it was Serene. I put my foot up on the toilet and tried not to make a sound.

"I know you came in here, Aria."

I said nothing and closed my eyes, trying to go to my happy place. As if there was one these days. Just then, the bell rang.

I heard her say one last thing, "Come out of there Aria. Look, I know Lamar is a jerk and all, but that doesn't mean he's worth a detention. At least come out to get to class."

She was right. I took my feet down and got out.

"Glad to see you listened."

I gave her a poorly forced smile then went out to get to class. Today is officially the worst.