Chapter 30: New Boyfriend?

Jawan's P-O-V

Her lips were so soft. They aligned perfectly against mine. I was nervous, to be honest. But I had to do it. It wasn't just about Heather being there. I've wanted to kiss her for so long, especially since last night. I was done playing around. I wanted her to be mine and I needed her to know that.

She pulled away from me and smiled.

"Jawan, what the hell is going on?" Heather asked coming up to me.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said slyly.

"Why were you kissing her?"

"It's over between us, as a matter of fact, nothing was ever going on between us! I never liked you Heather!"

"But, I thought that-"

"Do we really have to have this conversation again? I told you this days ago, but you're running around as if we're together. Tricking people into believing we're a couple."

"Jawan, I'm in love with you and you know that!"

"And I told you that the feelings aren't mutual. How hard is that for you to understand? Now leave Aria and I alone."

I took Aria's hand and walked quickly down the hall with her for my dramatic exit.

She smirked, "You didn't have to be so mean to her, you know?"

"Please, the girl is out of her mind."

"It's funny how people change over time, huh? She seemed so sweet when I first met her."

"You know what they say, love can drive people insane."

"Yeah, but I don't see what's so special about your love."

"Oh, yeah? Want me to show you?"

She bit her lip, "I'm down for a free sample."

I took her hands and guided her to put them around my neck then I put mine on her waist and kissed her again. The bell rang as soon as we pulled away and I grabbed her hand and she giggled all bubbly at everything I said as I walked her to class.

                                                                   ***

The lunch bell rang and we walked to lunch together. But it got pretty confusing once we stepped through the cafeteria's double doors. For most of the school year, we haven't been hanging out in the same places for lunch. She sat with the cool kids and I sat with my nerd friends. Knowing Heather, she probably came to lunch extra early to sit at my table and torture us. But, I'm not cool enough for the cool table.

"So... where do we sit?" She asked, reading my mind.

"I don't know."

"Come on," she said pulling me over to the cool table. "Serene."

Serene turned around and smiled at her, standing up to give her a hug.

"So... is this what I think it is?" She asked looking at me with a smirk.

"If you're asking me whether this beautiful young woman and I are together then you're looking at the wrong person. I mean, I'd gladly be hers if she'd have me."

She smiled, "We are-"

"Aria, can I ask you something?" Lamar interrupted pretty much pulling her away form us.

She fought back, "Lamar, let go of me!"

"I'm so sorry, but could you just listen to me, please?"

"I could listen to you standing right here."

"Aria, please?"

She looked at me and I stupidly let her go again.

Serene spoke up, "She really likes you, you know."

"I hope that's true."

Just then, Khalil came over to me.

"Yo, I saw you and Aria all loved up this morning. What's up?"

"I think I got her."

"Just make sure there isn't any more interference's, if you know what I mean."

"That'll be hard," I replied nodding my head in the direction of her and Lamar hugging.

"If she likes you as much as I think, that hug doesn't mean a thing," Serene said.

"Yeah, don't be so insecure, man. If you know she's yours, then no one else should be able to mess up what you got."

"Wish you thought that way when we were friends," Serene mumbled.

"Wait, what?"

"I didn't say anything. Uh, Kwame, you want to eat off campus today?"

Kwame stood up and held Serene from behind, "It's whatever you want to do, love."

"Well, if we are going off campus, can we bring Aria and her new boyfriend?"

"Wait, new boyfriend? Who's she with now?"

"I'm back!" Aria cheered, hugging on me once she returned.

"Aria, would you and Jawan like to come with us to eat off campus?"

"Oh. Yeah. If it's alright with you guys."

Kwame spoke up, "Hold on, you broke up with Lamar for this dork?"

"Kwame! Play nice!" Serene said sternly.

"If you must know, your friend Lamar is a controlling, abusive, jerk and Jawan is better than him in every way, okay?"

"Sorry, I know. Aye, man. Anyone that's cool with my girl is cool with me," Kwame said sticking out his hand to give me a bro-shake.

I forgave him and grabbed Aria's hand. We followed them to Kwame's convertible and took off.

"So, what do you guys want to eat?" Kwame asked.

"Surprise us," Aria replied.

Serene laughed, "My kind of answer."

Kwame nodded his head, "Okay, well I know just the place."