Chapter 14: Friend Zone

Jawan's P-O-V

"And then he just took her right from under me!" I complained to Khalil.

He was sitting on my bed, stroking Lucky's silky coat.

"Well, what are you going to do?"

"I don't know. Be a gentleman."

He threw his hands up, "Aw, look man, the reason you keep getting her taken away from you is because you keep letting him outshine you. You need to step your game up."

"Step my game up?"

"Yeah. Don't just ask her out. Tell her you're going to take her out by using body language. Look her in the eyes. Bite your lip. Hold her hand. Girls love that stuff!"

"But what if I do all of that and ask her out and what-not? What if she says no?"

"If she turns you down, then she does. Don't seem desperate. Show her that you still have your pride. Just accept that rejection is a part of life and move on."

"Oh please. Don't give me that. You sound so air headed and ignorant."

He laughed, "Whatever. Do it your way."

"I will."

It was an awkward silence after that. I sat there and thought about actually going through with Khalil's suggestions.

"Aye, looks like she's back," Khalil had said breaking the silence.

He pointed to the window and I saw her laying on her bed.

"See, now here's your advantage point. You see her when you get home and at school. Lamar is only able to make his move during school hours. So here's one of your chances. Take it."

He got up.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"To go follow my own advice."

With that being said, he left the room. I looked out of the window. He was right. I looked around the room for anything I could throw. I saw a half eaten bag of Peanut M&M's. I picked it up then opened my bedroom window. I tossed one to her window and totally missed. I tried again and I hit it this time but she didn't seem to notice. After 3 more M&M's, I saw her head turn to the window.

"Jawan?" She said after finally opening her window up.

"Hey Aria."

"Wow. This is cool. We're like actual neighbors."

I laughed, "Yeah."

"So, um, what were you throwing at my window?" She smiled, causing me to do the same as I lifted the bag of M&M's. "Ooh. The peanut ones. Nice choice."

"Yeah. These things are like bullets."

"Ooh. Well, please, be careful."

We both laughed. I knew it wasn't really any of my business, but I just had to know. So I asked her.

"So, what's up with you and Lamar?"

She let out a cute giggle and bit her lip. She was blushing...

"I think I like him. A lot."

Those words were like blows to the chest, knocking the breath right out of me.

"Oh. Really?"

"Yeah. He's sweet and funny and cute. He's so perfect!"

"Perfect, huh?"

She nodded, "Mhm. And guess what? He asked me on a date. So I know he likes me too. I just- I mean, I know this sounds corny, but he wants me. And I love that part of it all the most..."

Did she just reveal all of that to me? I didn't want to hear any of that. I wanted to block it all out. I wanted this all to be a joke, but it wasn't.

"Oh. That's great."

It all just hurt me. The idea of not having a chance.

"Yeah. But I should be getting started on my homework. It was nice talking to you. You know, you're a good friend."

There it was. I was stuck in the friend zone. Something I have always had happen to me.

"Thanks. This was fun. We should do this again sometime."

"Yeah. We should. Goodnight Jawan."

"Goodnight Aria."

We shut our windows and went back into our own separate worlds. A world where in her mind, I never existed. But in mine, she's the only one there.