22: Secret Identity Revealed!

Song: Reverie by ILLENIUM. Don't play until i tell you :)

Dinner is quiet. I'm simply bursting with hot news, and I need to tell someone. I had called Clarissa earlier and told her all about how my Halloween night went, and she got me really hyped up about it. Now I'm having trouble keeping a stupid grin off my face.

"How was your Halloween?" Dad asks Arielle and Alexander.

"The neighborhood hosted a trunk-or-treat because a lot of people have small kids! There were so many cute babies dressed up in costumes!" Arielle coos, earning an eye roll from me.

"My favorite one was the triplets dressed up as pumpkins! Oh, or the baby yoda with his little lightsaber." Alexander says.

"What about you, Skylar?"

"I just wore my Akatsuki shirt and went laser tagging. My friend Clarissa showed up in full Inkling cosplay." I try my hardest not to think about Caleb, afraid someone might see my thoughts written across my face.

"Niiiiice." Sophie says, taking a sip of water. "I went to a party dressed as Haku from Naruto." She eats a potato slice.

"Did anyone recognize you?" I ask hopefully.

"No... except this one dude, he wouldn't leave me alone for the whole party, just rambling about Boruto." She shrugs.

We talk about Halloween night, discussing the best costumes we saw. Arielle goes on a long spiel about safety and how some 'ruffians' were trying to disrupt the peace. I just tune her out and enjoy my grilled chicken. I love the way my dad makes it, but it's nothing compared to my grandpa's rendition of the dish.

"Hey, can Skylar and I go for a drive?" Sophie asks when she has cleared her plate.

(Play song) I nod enthusiastically, mouth full of delicious food.

"Sure, drive safe." Dad nods.

"Can we come too?" Arielle asks.

Sophie and I share a look. I swallow. "It's kinda our thing. Like a tradition with only me and Sophie... so no."

Ari makes a sour face, grumbling under her breath as we finish our food and take our dishes to the sink at the speed of fast. We put on our shoes, grab the keys, and dash for the garage before Dad can change his mind.

"Freedom!" I howl, starting the engine.

- some time later -

As the drive continues, I notice Sophie becoming quiet. She doesn't joke around with me like usual, instead just watching out the window and toying with her hands nervously. Something's up, I just know it.

"Alright, we're here, just sitting in the car." I joke, starting one of our favorite songs.

"I want you to show me if you can get far." She mutters, holding very still.

I try to lighten the mood in the car by finishing the lyrics. "Step on the gas!"

"I think that I'm trans." She whispers.

"Step on the brakes?" I say the next line uncertainly, looking over at her. I turn down the music to almost zero. "Are you serious?"

Sophie nods, face hidden by a curtain of long hair.

"As in, transgender?" I clarify.

"Yeah."

I fall quiet, feeling kind of foolish. This is definitely not how the song goes. "Do mom and dad know?"