11: Half-naked and Half-afraid

My dudes this part is like twice as long as usual chapters.... AH SORRY i guess I could've split it into multiple parts but meh idk what I'm doing.
Love it? Hate it? Think it could be better? Tell me in the comments!

"Hey, there's a party at Morgan's place tonight, you wanna come?" Clarissa asks as soon as I answer her call.

I smile, leaning the heavy box against my leg so I can press the walk signal button. "You know I have homework, plus I have to finish my research paper by Tuesday."

"Tuesday is in four days though!" she protests, even as I begins to walk across the street. "And you barely have anything to write anyhow, you're a English genius, it'll be a piece of cake!"

"A piece of cake that I should eat today." I say, readjusting the phone as I sit down. "I can't go tonight, final answer." There's a pause on the line, and I squint in the afternoon sun to locate the oncoming bus.

"Caleb will be there."

My spine tingles, and I look around for people with more urgency, afraid someone might overhear.

"I know you have the hots for him." She teases. It was scary how she knew something about me that I hadn't even discovered yet. How did she know? How do I know? Do I know? Do I even think?

"I do not, you have no proof." I argue in a hushed tone.

"No proof?" She taunts. "I heard that he stayed the night at your place the other day."

"That was different." I mutter, shifting uncomfortably under my box of groceries. "It had nothing to do with having a crush on him."

"But you admit that you do?"

I freeze, slapping my forehead full palm. I hold the phone away from my ear as Clarissa begins a volley of "I knew it" and "I told you so." I check both ways, then continue talking in a hushed tone, making sure I'm not overheard.

"Okay, so what, I have a crush on him. Who doesn't? He's a great guy, he's strong, smart, and handsome; the whole deal. What does it matter if I have a crush on him?"

"It matters because he's gonna be at the party tonight."

I clench my teeth. "I hate that you know me so well."

"I'll be over at ten to seven; bring your best speedo, it's a pool party." She says happily, then hangs up before I can ask any questions.

-

I feel weird. This is weird. I shouldn't be wearing a swimsuit, why did I agree to this?

Clarissa's car honks insistently in the driveway. She texts me a moment later, knowing exactly how to pull me out of crippling self doubt. "Full send, dude."

I take a deep breath, put my shirt on the counter, and turn to leave.

"Skylar," Clarissa says in awe as I climb into the passenger seat.

"You look fantastic."

"Really?" I ask, mood brightening as my self confidence grows. "Thank you."

"Yeah what the heck, you're stacked." She starts the car, but still stares.

"Heh thanks." I say, a bit unsure.

"Do you work out? Well obviously you do, but do you follow a program? A special diet?"

"Um... eat good, lift good?" I respond, uncomfortable from the attention.

"Nuh-uh. That's not it." She pulls out of the driveway, then glances over again. "You look like a freakin parkour master or som'm, bro."