Chapter 6: Just Be Chill, You'll Fit Right In

Author's note: this is a long chapter, I hope you enjoy! There might be a little break after this, I need some time to track down all the fragments of my story and put it in a proper storyline... anywho, thanks for reading!

~

When I get back to the car, Clarissa snickers. "It's about time you showed up, I was gonna send in the SWAT team after you. Did the Great Depression dress you again today?"

I glare at her as she laughs. "I don't even look that bad, you're just being mean."

"You're right." She says, turning the wheel and driving away from my apartment. "I do like the flannel, It's a nice touch."

"Are you being for real? Because I like the way it looks over this hoodie." I say, looking down at my fashion choice.

"No yeah for real, you look good." She says, and I believe her. "Is there any special occasion?"

"A guy don't always need an excuse to look his best." I say, shrugging. "And who knows, I might hit it off with a nice sophomore girl, so I gotta present, ya know?"

Clarissa just rolls her eyes. "You're ridiculous."

"Does that mean I'm doing it right?"

"Not gonna lie, this is why most people don't like freshmen. You guys put way too much pressure on yourselves to make a good appearance. Next year, you're not gonna care. They don't care. Just... don't try too hard to make friends, okay? Just be chill, and you'll fit right in."

Just be chill, you'll fit right in. I sit back for a second. "Alright."

We arrive, and walk out into the light drizzle. Clarissa claps me on the shoulder reassuringly, and we walk up to the front door. She knocks, then stands back to wait. We wait for a couple of long moments.

Just be chill, you'll fit right in.

The door opens, and there stands Tim's mom. "They're all in the basement," She smiles, opening the door wide for us to walk through. "There are some snacks on the table, and some bowls."

"Thank you!" Clarissa says, leading me down the hall.

"What's your name?" She asks.

"I'm Skylar, a friend of a friend." I shake her hand. "It's nice to meet you."

"Well, it's nice to meet you, too!" She says, closing the door behind us. "Have fun tonight."

I thank her, then follow Clarissa down the stairs. The thick carpet is soft against my feet, and it shows the tell-tale signs of frequent use.

"He stills lives with his mom?" I ask as we descend.

"Yeah, he says it's easier on his family, and money or whatever." She waves it off.

The main room down stairs is dim, and it takes a moment for my eyes to adjust. There are people sitting on couches that ring the room, and a few bean bags scattered around.
My spidey-sense tingles, but I can't detect any threats.

There are probably fifteen people down here, and most of them are looking over. I recognize a few, and smile in greeting. I follow Clarissa over to the couches, and she introduces me to a few of the new people.