Chapter 8: Sunday Night

(Warning: mild to moderately offensive language.)

That was a close call. I'm sure at least one person that night was curious as to how I took down two armed people when I look like my punches feel like a handful of grapes... Or at least that's what Caleb observed, just before I elbowed him in the ribs. I'm not even that skinny, he's just mean.

Sundays are for family, or at least that's what my family believes. I'm not technically part of my parent's religion anymore, but I don't have the heart to tell them. Sunday dinner always includes a great feast-like dinner at home. Sometimes we go to Grandma's house, but the cousins staying there are sick right now.

There are only two of us kids, me and my younger sister Sophie. I would've stopped going home every week for Sunday dinner if it wasn't for her. She needs to see some new faces every once in a while.

She hugs me tight when I walk in, head only coming to my chin. I kiss the top of her head, then escape to the laundry room before I can get captured by my mom's endless kisses.

After sticking my load in, I make my way back to the kitchen.

"Skylar my boy!" My dad says heartily from the table. "Where's your Sunday shirt?"

He's of course referring to my white button up and floral tie... usually a church outfit. "I changed after church." I lie, heading to the kitchen island to help my mom with potatoes.

When she sees me, she claps her hands over my cheeks, and kisses me all over my face. I honestly don't like it when she does that, but I smile and laugh anyway. After the food is ready, we sit and enjoy the meal... after a prayer of course. Luckily I don't have to say it this week.

"So skylar, what was your favorite part of the week?" My dad asks around a bite of potatoes.

"Um..." I cast my mind over the week's events. Getting a surprise visit from a super villain who claimed me as his nemesis. Getting my ass handed to me during a fight with him the next day. English essay. Going to a party... and basically sleeping through the whole thing. My photography class. Then getting jumped at a park and having to take down three armed assailants with the help of a cute boy... with the help of a boy. Not sure where the cute came from.

"We're waiting." Sophie reminds me.

"Don't be rude, maybe he doesn't have one." My mom chastises.

"Oh, he definitely has one, look at how red his face is." Sophie smirks at me.

You bastard. "Yeah, I went roller skating with some friends yesterday."

"Did you hold anyone's hand?" She asks, wiggling her eyebrows like the devil child she is.

"No!" Oh, shoot. I held Caleb's hand. "I did knock over a kid though."

"Grace and poise." She mocks me.

I glare at her with half lidded eyes. "Fine, what was your favorite part of the week?"

She stabs a carrot happily. "I got 100 percent on my earth science project."

"Yay!" My mom claps, trying to dispel the tension. "You worked so hard on that!"