i

"Now, while I'm on my trip, you are not to have any boys over of any sort! No going out with them either. And if you leave this house, you text me and you make sure I say it's okay." Marcus spoke, filling his bag with his few three-piece suits. Ariel watched him silently, nodding in response. Zipping the bag shut, he walked over to her, planting a kiss on her lips.

    "Alright, I'm off to the airport, I'll be back in a few days." He was about to walk out the door, taking a final look back. She fought herself in her head, debating whether she should ask him now or when he landed.

    "Mark," he turned around and sighed, leaning against the doorframe. "actually, my friends heard you were going out of town so they thought we could go drinking tonight and tomorrow."

    Her eyes immediately looked down at her feet, as if she was ashamed to ask him. Eagerly, she awaited his answer.

    "Fine, just text me when you leave and text me right as you get home." Without another word, he walked out of the house, slamming the door behind him. Ariel jumped at the sound, feeling a big wave of relief. She was free for three days, the house to herself. Obviously, she still had to inform her boyfriend about what she was doing, but she still felt that liberation.

    But why do I feel this way? she asked herself. Ariel shrugged off that feeling, too excited about going out tonight with her friends. She searched for her phone, opening it and texting them. Their plans weren't for another hour but she wanted an excuse to talk to them. It wasn't too often she got to see them, so whenever her boyfriend went out of town for business trips, they would take advantage and take her out. Ariel was knocked out of her thoughts when her phone started to ring. She checked the caller ID, seeing it was her best friend, Melinda. She picked it up immediately, putting it on speaker.

    "Hello?" The cheeriness in her voice was unmasked. This only caused her friend on the other line to laugh.

    "Hey, Ari! Are you almost ready?" Her silvery voice always put a smile on Ariel's face. She got up, walking to the bathroom.

    "Basically, why?" She toyed with her hair, brushing through her light brown waves.

    "Is Mark still there?"

    "No, he just walked out the door for his trip. What's up?" She looked at herself in the mirror as she spoke. She checked herself for any bruises, needing to cover them up if she were to go out. Luckily, none were visible.

    "Well, since Mark is gone, I was hoping we could go out now instead, I heard the place is gonna get busy." Ariel couldn't see Melinda's expression, but by the sound of her voice, she could hear the smile plastered on her face.

    "Sure, you wanna come and pick me up?" Her best friend agreed, letting her know she was on her way and to be ready. After ten minutes of getting ready and waiting, Ariel saw Melinda pull up. Walking over to the car, she could see Melinda's excitement.

    As Ariel sat in the car, she asked, "So, where are we going?"

    "It's called Lux! Apparently it's very exclusive and the owner is very well known, although I can't remember his name..." They both laughed at the irony and drove off to Lux. Melinda explained everything she knew about Lux, which wasn't much. This was the first time they were both going to that club.

    "So, what's the game plan?" Ariel wondered, not wanting to do something that Marcus wouldn't like. The last thing she wants is to upset him.

    "Well, I was hoping you could be my wing-woman and help me find a guy tonight. If not, then we just drink until we're smashed." A knot formed in Ariel's stomach. Something didn't feel right, and it was going to bug her until she figured it out. Melinda pulled into the Lux parking lot, where there was a big line of people out front. The two girls got out of the car, walking towards the end of the line. There were roughly thirty people in front of them, but the traffic inside the nightclub seemed to be going through quickly. They chatted for a while until they were next in line.