Percy's Emotions Get The Better Of Him, Or: The Rematch

Nico wasn't one to cry.

Despite everything Nico had been through, Percy had only seen the son of Hades cry four times. The first being when he told the younger boy about his sister's passing. The second was after Nico's arrival and he snapped at the younger teen like a jackass. The third was when he woke up and found Nico suffering over his inability to let go of his grief; and he definitely wanted to find the person who pumped the son of Hades' head with that bullcrap and send them to the bottom of the Atlantic.

But this time... This time was different from the others.

After Nico had uttered the disturbing revelation that he was an uncle, the younger boy wrapped himself around him and sobbed as his body trembled. At first, a selfish part of him thought Nico was seeking comfort with him because they were sorta-boyfriends, but it became apparent quickly that Nico needed physical contact to keep himself together. A part of him hoped that even if they weren't in a relationship, he would've given whatever attention Nico needed, because the gods only knew what kind of horrors Akhlys had subjected him.

And why he was spared.

The battered goddess of misery (who sounded a bit like Paul's tablet after he used it to look up some less than reputable sites) had snared him with the weird golden thread as well. He remembered trying to cut himself free, the threads glowing brighter than the sun, and then... nothing. The next thing he knew, his mom was beating Akhlys' face in with her tire iron (an equally awesome and terrifying sight) and Nico was shrieking in agony. It was like he had simply been asleep for the few minutes before his mom arrived, when he awoke, he even felt well rested to the point his body tingled like every muscle had been asleep; even his arm felt a bit better. However, if he would gladly take that pain back if it meant easing Nico's.

Fuck, he needs me, but I got to see what the hades is out there with Mrs. O'Leary... Percy looked down at the mess of dark brown hair nestled against his chest and gave it a sad little smile before placing a tender kiss on the top of Nico's head. While he and Nico were still figuring out what Nico was comfortable with in this stage of their relationship, he was certain that Nico would allow such a simple act intended to comfort him. Sure enough, the son of Hades further buried his head into his chest (making it a little hard to breathe) and a muffled mewling broke through the sob; putting a slight smile on Percy's face. "Hey, Neeks? I kinda need to go check on Mrs. O'Leary."

Nico groaned in response and wrapped his arms tighter around Percy's waist.

"I know, buddy. I know," he sighed, gently patting the boy's back; and nearly falling backwards with his only support gone. "But I got to go see if she needs help, Neeks. She's our ride." And our best defense. He turned his head to where his mom was sitting, with a very annoying knowing smirk on her face. "Mom? A little help here?"

She crawled across the cave floor and carefully wrapped her arms around Nico. "Come on, Nico," she murmured in a soothing voice, "He'll only be gone for a few moments. Mrs. O'Leary probably just found a smaller hellhound to play with." With the combination gentleness and strength only mothers were capable of, she pried the son of Hades off Percy and embraced him in one fluid motion. "He'll be right back," she whispered reassuringly as Nico sank into her. She placed one hand on the back of the upset teen's head and mouthed, "right?"

"Yeah! She's probably just made a friend," he nodded with faked enthusiasm. A rabid, ravenous friend that wants to kill all of us... With only a little bit of effort, Percy pushed himself to his feet and grabbed the Celestial Bronze sword Porphyrion had given him. The only gods know how much giant dandruff has touched this thing over the centuries, he thought with a shudder as he laid the flat of the blade on his shoulder. "I'll be right back."