Chapter 30 • Respect Begets Respect

Start from the beginning

          I cock a brow at them. What? They think I know shit whoever Bridget's screwing with? "Ask her, not me."

          "Aren't you rattled?" Austin's voice pitches. Wow, he really is mad and he's directing it at me. How rational.

          I sling my bag over my shoulder and shrug. "Why would I be? Sure, I hate those people but I love Bridget so whoever she is sleeping with is none of my fucking business. It will only be my business if he breaks her heart."

          Argumentative me is someone Austin's not a fan of so he turns to Jace and Jace pales. I know I have a point and it hit Austin so now he's going to take it on someone who's less likely to shut him up.

          "And you? Since you're Evo's friend and all. Did you know?" Austin interrogates.

          Jace points a finger to his face. "Does this overly handsome shocked face looks like he knows?"

          I grab Jace's arm. If only Evo wasn't his friend, I know he'll be acting the way Austin is acting too. But he's torn and he is bound to understand that's why I have to save him from
Hellboy.  "I told you, Aust. Ask Bri not us."

Jace lets out a deep sigh of relief as soon as we're out of Austin sight. He did not let me let his arm go, instead he holds my hand and we both walk together to the gym.

"I thought for one second he's going to end me," he murmurs and with my free hand, I pat his shoulder.

"Do you think it's real?" he asks me calmly but deep inside I know it's bothering him otherwise he won't ask me.

I shrug as I adjust my bag on my shoulder. "No idea but if it is, I'll respect Bridget. She always has reasons like you do when you did that to Grayson's sister."

Probably not a good comparison and it's bad of me to bring that up because his face falls and he lowers his sadly. I want to apologize for being stupid but I stop myself. Normal me would not do that.

"I regret that, you know," he starts and I really want to hug Jace. I am such a bitch. "Not the sleeping with her part but the part that came after that. I really liked Lily. I was falling for her and then the complication came after we did that and everything just fell out of my hands. I just thought the more I fight it, the more it will be harder for her. So I let it go and let them judged me."

I am breathless as I am listening to him. Jace just did a confession on me and I am way too surprised.

My innocent boy liked that Lily and it was all just a matter of misunderstanding from people with poor comprehension that lead them to where they are now. Jace doesn't deserve this and I grit my teeth.

"Jace..." I softly call him and he raises his head to look at me, his eyes watering. Oh my boy... "Did you tell them?"

He shakes his head and I grit my teeth. "I told you, the more that I fight, the more it will be harder for Lily."

"Why didn't you tell Austin and Bridget?" I ask and he chuckles.

"Those two?" he tells me and I can hear a hint of pain in his voice. "They were all full of anger that time too. They were irrational so I thought if I tell them, they'll fight for me and they will make things worse. I just want it to stop."

"By putting yourself into that position?!" I snap at him and he grins, trying to hide the pain and of course, he wants to end this conversation.