Chapter 30 • Respect Begets Respect

Important notes at the end of this chapter. Please make sure to read it ;)

What is a RETROGRADE amnesia?

It is caused by damage to the memory-storage areas of the brain. Damage may be from traumatic injury (such as car accidents), serious illness or degenerative brain disease.

So please take note of this 🤪👇🏻
In retrograde amnesia, REMOTE MEMORIES like her childhood and all are more easily accessible to a person (so that's why Harley can recall everything with her childhood bestfriends) than events that have occurred just prior to trauma.

And that's that... 🤪

••••

          I have amnesia and a crucial part of my past has been totally and intentionally wiped out by my brain.

          I want to have my memories back but I'm having second thoughts. Prior—or maybe after the accident, I, maybe myself chose to forget those things. Did my old self want my new self to regain those memories back? Did I wish to never get them that's why they're all exceeding so much efforts from hiding everything? I need to ask Bridget.

          As for her, she makes me wonder.

          With just a single plea for the truth, she tells me effortlessly without a hint of a doubt or second thoughts. She tells me straight-up that I have amnesia. She's willing to tell me everything. I know this is not just love, it's something more.

          Maybe my poor Bridget Argent just really wants me back.

          "Harley?" Ms. Hayes calls, snapping me out of my thoughts. I blink several times trying to rid myself off the trance.

          "Yeah?" I answer and it's a wrong move. I don't answer to my teachers when they call me. I just send my brows up telling them that I acknowledge their calls.

          I hear Bridget's low hiss beside me and as a response, I kick her chair. Acting normal—in her own standards—is harder than I've imagined. I overestimated myself by thinking I could do this.

          Every single fibre in me wants to bombard everyone with questions and snap at them for being high class liars. But I can't. Acting normal as though it does not pain me is the only way I could repay Bridget for being such a real friend. All those years I've spent far away from them, not just geographically, she never stopped being my bestfriend.

          "Are you okay?" our teacher asks warily as her eyes try to dive into my vast ones.

          "She is!" Bridget suddenly replies, surprising all of them. I shake my head ever so slightly. If I can't keep the acting, she definitely can't, too. Bridget Argent is paranoid.

          From my peripherals, I notice Austin and Jace sharing a knowingly glance to each other. They sense that there's something odd going kn between the two of us and if they don't know, that means it's a big deal. We never hide secrets from each other.

          "Thanks for the prompt response, Ms. Argent," Ms. Hayes sarcastically acknowledges her and half of the class chuckles. Bridget gives her a forced cheeky grin before sending me a discreet eye roll.