Chapter 33 • Earth to Gray

I have been writing this story since 2018. It's time to finish it.

• • • •

          It was the sweetest silence I've ever had in my life. My heart is relieved, my mind is somehow in peace and even though this is not what I came for, I felt like I'm mission accomplished.

          "Alright, babe..." Grayson disrupts my newfound peace in the middle of me savouring every bit of it. And I can't let that term of endearment go unnoticed. As usual, I did my best to prevent myself from blushing. "My turn."

I give him my best deadpan look because what I'm about to say is very Harley Gold. "What? You want to lie next to my dad?"

The resident bad boy chuckles. It's music to my ears and I am immediately warm to the core. He really does feel home. I wonder why I didn't feel like this when I first saw him. The heart should've remembered. My heart should've...

          "You could lose everything but never your sass," he says in between chuckles.

          I know he doesn't have bad intentions or anything for saying that but I am Harley Gold. I always ruin everything. "Like my memory?"

          And just like that, his face drops. Guilt starts creeping in and I swallow a mysterious lump in my throat. "I'm sorry. That's not what I meant. I———"

          "I know," I cut in almost immediately. I can't take it when he's like this. I can't take it anymore now that I know I am the reason why he looks so miserable. I caused him enough pain already. "So what is it?"

          Grayson looks into my eyes as if he's trying to decipher whether I'm hurt with what he said or if I'm really on that level of understanding.

          "Harley..."

          "Grayson," I copy him and then my eyebrow shoots up in a don't-be-ridiculous kind of vibe. "...it's me. I just couldn't help it. I had to say that because deep down, I am holding grudges against everyone here in Lexus for hiding something from me."

          "What's bothering you?" another question that scares the devil out of me. I don't know if I'm strong enough to answer it out loud.

          Did I forget you on purpose? I ask that question in my head as I look at him waiting for me to answer. To tell you the truth, I'm afraid that this might lead into a door of me remembering everything and learning that I really wanted to forget him. I'm afraid that I wished for my brain to erase everything awful that has happened.

          I don't want to end up hating myself. Because right now, I hate every moment that I can't remember him.

          "Nothing," I say with my plain old cold smile. It won't do much but at least it'll tell him that I don't want to talk about him. "What do you mean by your turn?"

"To ask question," he says in my relief, well not really. I narrow my eyes at him trying to intimidate him from not crossing the line.

"Shoot," I tell him and he smirks. Now, I'm regretting it!

Grayson rubs his chin with his fingers then bites down on his lower lip before speaking. "How was Prescott?"

I am taken aback. My eyes shoot up and my mind starts to roll. Prescott? Why would he want to know about my life in Colorado?

As if I've said my thoughts out loud, Grayson says, "I'm just curious about you, about your life after you left Lexus."