Chapter 29 • Brave Heart

"Can I borrow her for a second?" I suddenly pop up from Bridget's back, surprising the mini circle of her chatty minions she had gathered. Their jaws drop on the floor at the same time Bridget jumps.

          "Stop sneaking on me!" she dramatically exclaims as she swats my hand that's grabbing her shoulder—a bit tighter.

          If I'm going to finally dare someone to reveal the truth about me, I decided to choose the person who will never have a second thought on spilling out her guts in behalf of the entire town of Lexus who are way too great actors for pretending that everything's alright. Someone whose mouth is as big as our campus door.

          "Can I?" I repeat, now with cock brow to the four minions. The idea of me talking to them is still scaring the shit out of their junior heads.

          They all nod in unison when I narrow my eyes and with that, I grab her. Literally dragging her arm, her feet skidding on the tiled floors and her hair getting all tangled up on her face. Oh if only I could laugh.

          But you could.

          I ignored that voice inside my head and focused on Bridget's yelps. That's more interesting. And just to be very clear, I'm no sadist of a friend. It's just me messing with her, in our own way. The bitch did it to me once back in highschool when we had a very petty fight. She and my boyfriend....

          I suck in a breath. Boyfriend?

          Holy shit I really can't remember.

          My grab on Bridget unintentionally tightens so when I noticed it, I immediately let her go. By this time, we're already standing in front of the door of the music room. I turn the knob and the irritated Bridget Argent hauls herself in first.

          "What do you want?!" she snaps at me. Okay, I'll let that one pass. I deserve it for dragging her like a voodoo doll.

          "I need your help," I say without a further a do.

          "What?!" she snaps again but with a hint it calmness in her tone. She promised me that when I needed her help, she'll help. She assured me that she'll always with me. I need that promise now and I'm sure as hell she's gonna uphold to that.

          "When you eavesdrop on me and my mom, you told me you want to help..." I remind her and she slowly nods. Her hostility is slowly fading and it's being replaced with wary and care.

          "Whatever you want me to, Harls. Just say it," she sincerely tells me. But then she raises her finger as if to add up a point, "except for jumping out of the rooftop or worse, stopping the Senior Prank."

          I roll my eyes. She really needs to sort out her priorities. "I just want you to be honest, that's all."

          She straightens, her face beaming in excitement which kind of confuses me. I didn't expect her to be this eager. I do know she'll tell me the truth but with her face full of fear for her imminent death care of Austin or Jace or Austin and Jace.

          Bridget claps her hands together and I smile to myself. She is so genuinely pure. I should've asked her earlier. "Go on, shoot!"

          "Promise me you'll be honest. No more lies, no more pretendings. I just want to know the truth. I think I don't want to live another day here in Lexus without knowing who am I because right now, no matter how many times I convince myself that I know me, it doesn't feel right. You guys are constantly lying to my face and that sucks. It's like you're being selfish for a part of me that I deserve to know..."