Adina's Moment

~~~~~~~~~~~~
The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

ADINA POWERS

As I opened the door to the hotel room, it felt like freedom was in the air with all the gases we inhale.

I especially loved the idea of staying in a hotel with my friends because my dad was right, only the heavens knew what my mom would do the next time she saw me.

I imagined her running toward me like an enraged bull with flaring nostrils and pinning me to the ground with a fist full of my hair.

I shuddered at the thought and just opened the door with the key card given to me by the receptionist.

Max was still in the lobby, he said he was waiting for his driver to bring some of his clothes.

Morgan was on her way and I had no idea if Damien was coming.

Which got me worried sick because Max and I called him a number of times and the calls all went to voicemail.

I didn't mind hearing Damien's voice, voicemail or on a call or in person, but after all that had happened earlier that evening, I needed to know how he was holding up.

The suite we were given was huge and that was an understatement.

It could qualify to be a house. With two rooms, a kitchen, a TV room, two bathrooms, a balcony and other places I didn't have the strength to check out.

I could have jumped right on the bed, called room service to-

"You look like a five year old in Disneyland." Damien chuckled from behind me.

"Dammie." I called as I wrapped my arms around him.

"Hey." He breathed into my hair.

"How are you?" I asked as soon as pulled apart. His eyes were glossed over with unshed tears and I didn't know which broke my heart more.

His pain or his apparent inability to express it.

"I'm fine, Sweetheart." He smiled, brushing strands of hair from my face.

"Damien, are you sure?" I asked weakly. I was never good at having these conversations.

He let go of me and walked towards the bedroom bench.

"I'm fine." He smiled at me again and sat on the bench.

I sucked at these conversations but Damien was a boy I loved and I was not going to let him feel any more hurt than he already was.

"No, Dammie. You're not." I was trying to be conscious of what I said and how I said them.

I walked to him and knelt in front of him.

"You're not fine, and that is okay." I said, holding his face and making him look at me.

He smiled again, took my hand off his face and just held it.

"Adina, I'm fine..." He started and I just couldn't let him finish.

"No, you are not." I interrupted, stressing every word.

He looked quite surprised by my sudden firmness.

"I don't know if you're angry, sad or confused but I know you're not fine." My voice was slightly raised at this point.

"Well if I'm not fine, tell me what the heck I'm supposed to feel!" He countered, his eyes glossing over again.

"Feel something!" I replied, trying my hardest not to yell. "Feel angry. You met the man who abandoned you and your mother today. And he's the same man who is trying to make the girl you like marry someone else."