51| Fuck Off, Augustus Waters

AFTER the phone call ended and I checked up on Matteo with Maverick, getting him some water and passing over the message that Will was available whenever needed, I texted Nic

AFTER the phone call ended and I checked up on Matteo with Maverick, getting him some water and passing over the message that Will was available whenever needed, I texted Nic. But there was no response. I assumed he was taking some time to cool down. I really didn't know what Nic did to calm himself down, but I hoped it wasn't something self-destructive or crazy. I had faith in Nic but I guess I was just worried and a bit protective.

I went in search of Theo instead, which was my priority anyway. I wanted to walk up to him, really, and set him straight; I wanted to tell him that everything he said to Nic was insensitive and uncalled for, but besides the straight-up insults he'd thrown in Nic's direction, it would make no sense to Theo. Because Theo didn't know that Nic wanted the business. He didn't even know Nic cared about the business. From what Theo had said about Nic lying, sneaking around, etc., it seemed like Theo didn't believe Nic cared about anything at all.

I knew that wasn't the truth, and it was weird that I knew more than Theo, who had spent 17 years with Nic. They were brothers, they'd lived in the same home, shared the same parents, and yet Theo had no clue that Nic was passionate about business and had been since he was young. I would think Theo was completely oblivious if I didn't know better; Nic was just incredibly good at hiding and keeping secrets.

But for as much as Nic did sneak around, lie about his whereabouts and what he was doing, and hide things from Theo and his family, he was a genuinely good person. A passionate person. Like me. I related to him but there was one crucial difference between us and it was the fact that I kept no secrets from Will. Will knew I wanted the business and I knew he wanted to do theater. There was nothing wrong with Nic and Theo having a few minor secrets, but when the secrets were so major that they affected their entire relationship, things needed to change.

But I also knew that I couldn't just walk up to Theo and spill all of Nic's secrets for him. It was something Nic had to do, and it wasn't my place. But Jesus, Theo really went all in over the phone.

Theo, unsurprisingly, was on top of the roof. He left the window open probably expecting me to join him, which I did, climbing out of the window and sitting beside him. His gaze was focused out on the view of campus, his expression hard and eyes shut. By the way his body moved, his shoulders and stomach lifting and falling slowly, I knew he was taking deep breaths, trying to calm himself and gather his composure.

I touched the side of his face, pulling his head to look at mine and his eyes opened. I didn't give him the time to open his mouth or say anything, I just pulled his face to mine and kissed him. Theo instantly responded and his hands came up to gently cup my face while he kissed me back, gently, pleadingly, like he needed the contact and didn't want to pull away. I was okay to oblige a little longer, entangling my hands in his hair until I knew I had to pull away and talk to him.

"You good?" I asked.

Theo nodded but looked away from me, taking in yet another deep breath. "I'm sorry I lost my shit in there. I should have... I should have been better about that. I mean, I shouldn't have blown up like that."