44| What the Hell are You Doing on Page 3?

THE morning after I openly disobeyed my mom to be with Theo — and let me just say, wow — I left my room at just past 8 in the morning and could already smell the waffles from the hallway

THE morning after I openly disobeyed my mom to be with Theo — and let me just say, wow — I left my room at just past 8 in the morning and could already smell the waffles from the hallway. I smiled instinctively, knowing that dad was in the kitchen making his famous chocolate chip waffles and that meant my mother was off at her yoga.

I smiled also because of last night. Because of Theo. Because he loved me and we were together and it was super fucking crazy and exciting. I wanted to see him again as soon as I could, but I knew it would be hard to do so over the rest of Fall break. Even though I'd openly rebelled against my mother and she now knew that there was something between Theo and me, I still wanted to be cautious not to drive her completely insane.

When I got into the kitchen, dad was pouring batter into the waffle maker and Will and Matteo were in the kitchen eating waffles since Matteo had ended up staying the night. Will had told me that Matteo hadn't been willing to leave last night because after the party started to die down, he got pretty down in the dumps. Because as much as Matteo was good at putting on a brave face, he was still shaken up from his own relapse and needed support to get better. Will, apparently, was Matteo's biggest support system right now next to Theo.

"Morning, Ava," my dad said, looking up to give me a quick smile. I smiled back because he was still my dad and I loved him, even though I could tell there was more on his mind when he looked at me. And no doubt in my mind was he thinking about the events of last night. I just wondered when, or if, he would say anything to me about my choice to leave the apartment and the annual party to be with Theodore Montgomery III.

"AC," Matteo said with a soft smile, and he surprised me by walking over and embracing me in a tender hug. Over his shoulder, I caught a glimpse of Will, who smiled at me and mouthed something about Matteo having a rough night. So I held him a bit tighter before he slipped from my grasp. "Your dad makes godlike pancakes. I've truly never had anything better."

"He's too kind," my dad said, all smiles.

"It's the truth, Douglas," Matteo said, grinning at my dad who he was apparently on a first-name basis with. I shot Will a surprised look and he just shrugged, but I could tell he was happy that Matteo was enjoying his time. He deserved it, anyway.

My dad slid over a plate with a fresh chocolate chip waffle in my direction and I gladly took it, but when I caught my dad looking at me, he quickly reverted his gaze back to the waffle iron. I couldn't tell what he was thinking, but I just knew it had to do with last night. I knew it had to do with the fighting I'd heard between him and mother once I got back home after the party had dispersed. My dad was a businessman. He didn't keep quiet. He was civil and he didn't like to speak out and cause a ruckus, but he didn't just sit back and let things happen. If he had an opinion, it was certain I'd hear of it.

Except for the fact that now, when I wanted him to the most, he wasn't talking.

So I decided to. "Are you as mad as mother is?" I didn't look up from my waffle, but I felt the energy in the room shift.