16| Knowledge is Power, Young Padawan

POINT: Theo.

Getting Ava to come to dinner was a win enough for me. Spotting her and Maverick from across the street was a win, too, for both me and Matteo.

Seeing her with her brown hair down, as usual, sitting next to Maverick with her head down and his arm around her looking vaguely upset and bothered, was enough for me to make my way across the street and ask her to join us for dinner. Matteo was more than happy to oblige and ask them to join us; He liked Ava and it was obvious how much he liked Maverick, he always had.

I knew Ava wouldn't have wanted my parents to know who she was, so that's why I offered to keep it a secret. My parents hadn't seen Ava since she was young, and it was likely that they wouldn't recognize her or ask too many questions. And if they did recognize her, it's not like they would go off and be pissed about it. My mom and dad didn't care about the ongoing Montgomery-Cunningham feud. The only reason it was still a legitimate feud was because of Ava's side.

We were just a minute away from the restaurant and as we walked, I slowed down to wait for Ava, who had been trailing behind. I nudged her just barely and she looked up at me.

"What?"

I smirked. "Dinner with the Montgomery's," I said. "Who would've thought?"

"Dinner with the enemy."

"Oh, Juliet, how you amuse me..."

"Don't call me that. You can't," she said. Her tone told me that she was serious and the way she looked into my eyes with her deep brown ones – they looked vaguely hazel under the sunlight, gold flecks in her pupils that were shining up at me – told me that she was actually pleading. She really didn't want a slip-up. She really didn't want my family to know who she was. It probably had more to do with the thought of betraying her parents or whatever than anything else.

"I won't," I told her. I held out my pinky. "I promise."

Ava rolled her eyes and looked away, ignoring my pinky. "I'm not pinky promising you like a 5-year-old."

"Then, no promises, I guess."

She glared at me and I smiled. I loved it. When she glared at me, it felt like a win. Teasing her to the point that she felt the need to shoot daggers at me with her eyes felt like another point to Theo Montgomery.

Reluctantly, she lifted up her hand and wrapped her pinky around mine for a split second. The minuscule physical contact was just enough to send a wave of warmth down my body. Something about Ava...

We walked into the restaurant and the host immediately recognized me (my family came here a lot since I moved to Syracuse for school), "Theodore! Buongiorno!" he exclaimed, his thick Italian accent sticking out.