41| Romeo, a Knight, and a Fucking Peach

"MATTEO, have you seen Nic?"

"All I've seen is my beautiful face in this mirror," Matteo said, spinning around from where he stood in the guest bathroom. He set down the brush he was using for his hair. "I cannot believe I never noticed that this mirror lights up. It makes me look 10 times more irresistible."

I rolled my eyes.

Matteo was doing better a week into Fall break, as was clear. He was trying at least to be more like himself, though it was obvious the drug situation had fucked with him. He wasn't great but he was trying. I think being home with my family and talking to Will everyday was helping him.

Matteo had been reluctant to talk about what happened that night. But he eventually caved and told me just about everything in as little detail as possible. From the beginning of the night to the moment Maverick admitted he didn't have feelings for Matteo to the decision Matteo made to run off and make some dumb decisions. Turns out he had found someone on campus who sold drugs provided by someone under an alias. He took the drugs and did them at Orbis after a few drinks. He cried when he told me about that night. I hated seeing Matteo cry. Because he could make mistakes and he had a rough past, but he was like my second brother. Losing him, I couldn't fathom. Thank goodness he was here and it was easy to watch after him, keeping him under my wing.

"Yeah, yeah, you look phenomenal. Have you seen my brother?"
I asked.

Matteo shrugged and walked past me to plop down on the bed. "Last time I saw him he was in the kitchen getting something to drink. I think he was going down to the library to be a boring bastard!"

He sat up and smiled at me, propping himself up on his elbows.

"Do you need Nic because you need his help with a plan?" Matteo asked. "Perhaps a plan involving a certain girl who's name rhymes with an A and ends with Ham?"

I nodded towards the door and left the room. I could hear the bedsprings as Matteo stood up and then his footsteps as he caught up with me and followed me downstairs. We headed down the halls until we reached the elevator that led down to the library and I pressed the button.

"You haven't called me an idiot for about a week now—"

"But that doesn't mean the fact has changed!"

I glared at Matteo and he blew me a kiss. We stepped into the elevator and pressed the button to take us down. "Whatever," I muttered. "Gio talked some sense into me. I already told you most of what he told me."

"Most?" Matteo asked, eyebrows raised.

I smiled in his direction as the elevator dinged and the doors slid open. Matteo and I stepped into the library and the lights were already all on. I clapped to turn the lights off and heard a low chuckle emit through the room. Then the sound of hands clapping and the lights came back on.