37| Worthier Than Most

THE second earliest train left the station closest to the university at 8:30 in the morning on Saturday, and despite Skylar's hatred for early rising, she agreed to take me to the station so I wouldn't have to walk with my suitcase for over a mile

THE second earliest train left the station closest to the university at 8:30 in the morning on Saturday, and despite Skylar's hatred for early rising, she agreed to take me to the station so I wouldn't have to walk with my suitcase for over a mile. And I think we both knew the reason she was agreeing to wake up early on my behalf and it wasn't just out of the goodness of her heart, though that was what she claimed.

When I left the party early last night, I got back to the apartment and nearly started crying. I had to catch it and remind myself that I wasn't going to cry over something so meager and unimportant.

But my feelings for Theo didn't exactly feel meager or unimportant. Regardless, I'd never cried over a boy before because I thought it was stupid. It was just a guy. Just another person in a world of billions of others. Besides, why cry over someone who wouldn't cry over you? Theo, I was sure, wouldn't cry over anyone.

Skylar had texted me last night just 20 minutes after I left asking me what happened and that she'd seen Theo come back into the house alone and have a quick conversation with Matteo before going upstairs and never coming back down. She had to pry the truth out of Matteo because I didn't want to answer my phone, I just wanted to finish packing up my suitcase and plan the quickest way to get out of Syracuse on Saturday. Skylar came back to the apartment about an hour later that night and I told her everything from my point of view, she called Theo an idiot, praised me for not crying like a badass bitch, and then called Maverick to bring his private stash of edible cookie dough he left in his minifridge in his room at the frat house.

So we had all eaten a shit ton of cookie dough, avoided all conversation surrounding Theo, and watched a wide selection of random movies: starting with Lady Bird and ending with Moonlight, which pretty much wrecked Maverick. I didn't have tears in me to cry over a movie, but Maverick had a meltdown and then we all laughed about it before dozing off.

And now on Saturday morning at 8:10, I wheeled my suitcase out of my room and found Skylar in the kitchen. She smiled at me, one of her soft smiles I'd recently figured out was reserved for when things got serious and when her sarcasm dialed down.

"Ready for Fall break, newbie?" Skylar asked, peeling a banana. "2 weeks without me... What ever are you going to do?"

"I think I'll be just fine," I teased. "You, however, might go crazy without me. Clearly, you need me."

"Ha!" Skylar laughed, taking a bite of her banana and then using it to point at me. "You know what? I can't wait for you to get the hell out of here so I can raid the private snack stash you keep under your bed. And don't think I won't download some weird sketchy encrypted files onto your computer just to mess with you before you get back."

I rolled my eyes. "You're a bit over the top."

"If you can't be dramatic, don't be anything at all," Skylar said and shrugged. She hopped off of the counter and was about to speak when there was a knock at the door. I looked at Skylar confused while she groaned. "If that's he-who-shall-not-be-named, I will slam the door in his face."