43| The Gushy Gooey Emotions

TURNS out, Theo had his motorcycle on deck

TURNS out, Theo had his motorcycle on deck. Or, turns out, Nic was the one who put it on deck. Nic, the maker of plans, had apparently said it might come in handy tonight if things went well, under the assumption I didn't just flip Theo off and tell him to piss off. Which, admittedly, I would never do.

"Your brother is smart," I said, though I was suddenly shaking with fear just a bit as we stood in front of Theo's motorcycle. Nic had parked it outside of The Met. How fitting.

"Too smart, I think," Theo muttered, then spun around and handed me one of his helmets. "It's all yours. That is, if you're not too scared."

He was teasing me. What an ass.

"I'm not too scared," I lied. I mean, I was scared. My hands were shaking the slightest bit and my heart was bouncing within my chest. This time, I knew my heartbeat was going wild because of the thought of riding the motorcycle rather than the fact that I was actually with Theo and I loved him and he loved me and–

Mother of fuck, the gushy gooey emotions were taking me over.

"Okaaay," Theo drawled, sending me his usual playful smile. I wanted to shove him away and pull him closer all at once. I hadn't kissed him and he hadn't kissed me yet. What the hell were we waiting for?

Theo stepped in front of me and I reluctantly put on the helmet he'd given to me. Theo reached up to latch the helmet for me, tightening it and letting his hand linger on my cheek. He reeled away and hopped on the front of the motorcycle, holding his hand out for me. I sighed and stepped towards the demon driving machine, taking Theo's hand. I hopped on behind him, not once letting go of his hand.

"You're shaking," he told me without looking back. Then he squeezed my hand. "It's going to be fine. I won't kill you. I told you we were different from Romeo and Juliet, didn't I?"

"You're hilarious," I breathed out, wrapping my arms around his torso and letting my head fall to rest on his back. I closed my eyes tightly, unprepared. What the fuck was wrong with me? A rebellion and a motorcycle ride all in one night? I must have been going through my midlife crisis extremely early.

His hand squeezed mine again before it slipped out of my grasp. "I do have to drive, though," was his reasoning. Yeah, I guess that made sense if I didn't want to die. "I've got you, Juliet."

And then he started the two-wheeled terrifying vehicle and drove off, pulling out into the street and away from The Met. My heart leaped out of my chest and I held on tighter.

I could feel the wind brushing by us as Theo drove, the open air was a new sensation from driving in an enclosed car. It was almost like riding a bike but a hell of a lot faster. And way more terrifying. And I felt way closer to death. But my anxieties were soothed holding onto Theo and knowing that he was here and I trusted him.