4.01: chapter forty

Start from the beginning

"One," I hummed, bending down and kissing Elle. She just flicked me again and I snorted, holding myself up a little longer before dropping down and pecking her lips again, "Two."

"Sometimes I forget why I moved in with you," Elle said, sitting up to kiss me before I came down. I grinned at that, only pulling back when she dropped back down to the bed.

I smirked and hovered above her, "Because I'm an amazing cook," I offered, leaning up slightly. I sighed and stretched out, knowing that I'd have to get ready to go the rink soon, "and, you know. You're kind of in love with me. But I'm in love with you, too, so it works out."

Elle opened her mouth to respond, but was cut off when Connor's voice called out, "I think I might have walked in on a bad time."

I yelped and rolled off Elle (suddenly very aware that I was only in boxers), cheeks going bright red. Elle laughed and I sat up, glaring at Connor, who just stood at the doorway, grinning widely at me. His hair was messy, but he was in a Wilson jersey, and had a Toronto Leafs foam finger on, and it was kind of hard not to grin widely right back at him.

I stood up out of bed, searching through the mess of clothes I had on the floor. That was one thing that hadn't changed: my room (or the room I shared with Elle) was still a mess, "There's this thing called knocking, Con."

Connor frowned and tugged his keys out of his pocket, wiggling them in front of him, "Why would I knock when I have a key?"

"You shouldn't even have a key," I protested, sitting back down on the edge of the bed. Connor laughed and flopped into the bed, nearly elbowing Elle in the eye, "It's weird to come home to you on the couch instead of Elle."

Connor shrugged, a ridiculous grin breaking out on his face as he winked at me, "We both know you love coming home to see my face."

I laughed and pushed Connor out of the room, waving to Kelly who was sitting on the couch. Elle followed out after them, and I promised to be ready by the time Jay and Edi came to pick us all up. I closed the door behind me and turned, eyes locking on the blue and white jersey hanging on the back of my closet.

It was kind of insane to look at a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey with my name written on the back. It was insane to think that, in a few hours, I'd be playing my first game for the Leafs with two of my best friends.Thinking that a childhood dream I had was coming true was mind-boggling, but it was also one of the most amazing feelings in the world to know that I made it.

I got dressed quickly after that, stumbling out of my room at the same time Jay and Edi walked into the apartment. I snatched my hockey bag off the floor and grinned at Jay, who was already wearing his jersey. Of course he was - all he had been talking about for the past few weeks was about our game. I had been too, to be honest.

"Put your jerseys on," Connor said, and I tugged mine on. Connor grabbed me, Edi, and Jay, and tossed his phone to Kelly. He grinned at all of us, brown eyes practically sparkling as he adjusted his jersey, "This is our first game, so smile!"

Edi frowned, "Connor, you know you don't actually play for the Leafs, right, dude?"

"Do you like ruining happy moments?" Connor asked, and Edi grinned, holding up his hand in defense. Connor groaned and slapped his hand down, "This is a picture, I don't want your arm floating behind my head!"

Jay busted out in laughter, and Connor reached around Edi to slap the back of Jay's head. They both went silent then and turned to the camera, grinning widely at it.

"On three!" Kelly called, putting an arm around Elle's shoulder. They both laughed and counted down from three, "Say 'Toronto!'"

We all shouted out Toronto, and I grinned widely, unable to stop myself. With my three best friends by my side, and my other two best friends in front of me, it was impossible to do anything but smile.