Thirty-Three

The dune-buggy backed out of the house and entered the streets, which was mostly clear, save for people in armor walking about with weapons attached to them. They did not look like militants, but rather just slummers..

"Armor huh," Rose thought, tapping the steering wheel and wondering if she should get one as well.

While leather armor could realistically only protect against blades, metal armor was different. It could defend well under both the fire of pulses and sharp weaponry without needing to 'charge', but unlike the Mana Shield Emblem attached to her chest, it would weigh you down, restrict movement in some way, and would need to be repaired or even replaced if significantly damaged. The best armor could rival the best mana shields, and vice versa, however, in essence, people chose what suited them best—both on the fighting end and the monetary end. There were some that even used both if they could and Rose thought about possibly acquiring leather armor in the future. . .when her funds were not only 3.5k lixels.

Then again, all of this was only true when facing Guns and blades. When going against a Gear or a powerful spirit, it hardly mattered what you wore when they could simply burn through—unless you had counters in place.

It didn't take long for her to reach a point where she was forced to release the accelerator of her motor and break in the middle of the street.

"What. . .?"

There was a barricade. It was more of a large stone slab, really, but it served its purpose well. On either side were black motors that looked as if they had had quite the modifications done on them with thick metal armor and a turret slapped on their roof. There were also men in leather gear of black, carrying rifles. One of which came in front of her buggy.

"No vehicles allowed past this point, please step down and away from it."

He said. His voice was thick. She couldn't see his face past the protective helmet he wore, though she did see brown eyes below the glass of the thing.

She frowned.

". . .why should I trust you with my car? In fact, why should I listen to you?"

Her eyes narrowed, not quite liking the idea of being ordered. There was no fighting ahead, no sounds of clashes here, and she wondered what need there was to blockade an already tight road.

"Listen, girl, you can either do as you're told, or. . ."

He raised a hand into the air.

The guns aimed at her.

"Which will you choose?"

She could almost feel the smirk beneath his gaze.

"That's my student, I'm sure you can let her pass, right?" Just then, however, a recognizable voice drew her to pale blue hair and golden eyes.

"Samuel. . ."

The sword instructor smiled as he walked closer.

"Yes?"

The blockade was temporarily lifted and the car passed on.

"Sorry about that," Samuel Gardner sighed in the passenger seat with folded arms, there was a sword attached to his waist, it looked different to what he usually sparred with. "Walker's base is located within this section of the slums and he has as many entry points closed as possible. Soon, he might bar even more than just vehicles."

"I see." She nodded, looking him up and down.

He seemed calm in the middle of all this, there was a thin smile on his lips, and he listlessly watched as the scenery passed and she parked beside his dojo. Yet, as soon as they came upon the door, his expression scrunched to a frown.