Sixteen vol.2

The latch of the virtual cabin opened. Orienting herself took moments because it felt as if she had just re-entered a world she lost. Her sensory information, once redirected by the simulation, was returned to her normal homunculus body, controlled by her brain. Feeling the softness which she laid on, Rose directly slowed down her brain's speed to normal operations—which was still faster than a human's—and took stock of herself.

'Everything is normal at the moment. My charge is at 40%, however,' She thought, 'Added with the 6 cores I have, that's 2 plus 15, making 17 days in total. We will be entering the dungeon soon, however, so worrying about charges will likely be something of the past."

At one point, she had required only one core to last her 5 days. Then, lowering risks to herself by building a core barrier around what was essentially her central control, memory, and data center, she now needed 2 cores to last her through 5 days. Yet, dungeoning was on the horizon, it likely wouldn't be an issue in the near future.

She climbed out of the cylindrical pod and found her footing back upon a glass floor which didn't feel as smooth as one nor reflect much of anything.

When she reached the counter, however, she was surprised. For one, though other people surrounded it, she was the first one out between herself, Elsa, and

"They're both currently in the third trial," The Android said, "The dragonian reached that stage far quicker than you and the other girl, however."

Didn't that mean Lilias was stuck on the trial? Rose pondered.

"You on the other hand had quite a remarkable result. If we were to place you on time alone, finishing below 25 minutes, you're above 93% of everyone that has ever taken the assessment within Alos. Only the likes of Fran Freedom, Gushin Mao, and Alice Bridget surpassed you in speed."

Rose had no idea who those people were, save for Fran Freedom, but the android spoke as if they were easily recognizable names. In her mind, she thought they would be rather skilled or powerful in their own rights.

Ten minutes after her exit, Elsa came out.

"Yo I fucking passe—where's Lilias?" The girl paused and swerved her head about.

Rose shrugged with a small sigh.

The android explained the same thing she had done previously and then noted the girl's time. "Better than 67% of people. That's, at the very least, above average."

Elsa's expression elated and she grinned. "Awesome."

"How did your trials go?" Rose asked.

"Oh? For the blaze falcon, I ran until it was out of flames, using the shield emblem, then dragged it down when it came swooping and punched a hole from its mouth out." Elsa shrugged. As someone who had lived in the slums her whole life, she too was familiar with the creature. "For the second trial, I chose the desert, got swept up in a sandstorm. It ripped apart my shield, the rocks caused me to bleed. Then a sandworm chased me and I ran for my hecking life. . .I almost passed out but reached the orb somehow."

Rose nodded. "And the third trial?"

"Huh? Umm. . .I just got stronger?" Elsa tilted her head. "Plus. I didn't really do a whole lot of fighting in the simulation so I don't think it copied me all that well. . ."

'That makes sense. . .' Rose thought. "So what's holding Lilias back?"

Her friend shrugged.

"Beats me, she should be stronger than me by a mile."

They waited.

And waited.

And, finally, when an hour was up, the dragonian finally walked out of her cabin, pure confusion crossing her face.