Chapter Twenty Four; Rippletails' Death

"Rippletail!" Silverpebble screeched. Dawnfire looked at the RiverClan warrior who was pacing up and down.

"Get the bear off her!" Dawnfire barked the order like an angry fox who'd had its tail ripped off. Foxclaw and Greynose started clawing the bear and pushing it off Rippletail. Dawnfire rushed over to help along with the others. The only cat left was Silverpebble who was still pacing with worry.

She ran her claws along the bears flank and she heard it groan. "Get off our medicine cat you filthy beast!" She growled. She had never been angrier in her life. But why? All the bear had done was crush a cat.

I guess I'm angry because I led them here, I led Rippletail here and now she has probably  too lost a life. Please StarClan, let her be OK. She thought. The bear started to move. She noticed all the wounds the cats had given the bear. It was in pain but she didn't care. All she wanted was Rippletail to still be alive. She was the most important cat in this mission. They needed her to treat wounds.

The bear finally moved and Greynose dragged Rippletails body from the flattened grass.

"Rippletai?" Silverpebble asked. "Is- is she alright?"

"I don't know Silverpebble, I really don't know." Dawnfire mewed sympathetically.

Foxclaw started checking her. "I'm sorry. She is dead." He murmured sadly.

"But she has two lives!" Silverpebble protested.

"Not anymore. Remember the story of how Tigerstar died. Scourge had killed him with one blow to the stomach, ripping all his nine lives out of him at once. Well..." He didn't need to explain any more. Dawnfires' stomach lurched and she felt grief welling up inside her. She padded over to Foxclaws' side.

"Goodbye Rippletail." She mewed. "May StarClan light your way and we wish you the best. May you live young and happy forever." She suddenly felt the presence of more cats around her. A tail swished on her shoulder and she turned to see her mother Swiftleaf with Smallkit sitting sadly at her paws. A beautiful lithe tabby was standing beside Rippletail as her spirit came free.

Rippletail stod beside the tabby she-cat and looked at Dawnfire."I'm sorry Dawnfire. I never ment to let you down. This was my own fault. If only I'd gotten off the bear when Frostflower told me. But now it is my time."

Dawnfire felt the presence of the starry warriors fade until it was still Rippletail and the tabby left. Rippletail was talking to Silverpebble. "Goodbye Silverpebble. When you return, please go with Birchpaw to the Moonpool. Give him is name as a full medicine cat."

"But, I'm not supposed to go to the Moonpool." She stammered.

"I know, but I have given you permission. Goodbye." Rippletail whispered the last word before she faded.

Everyone sat in silence for what seemed like moons. The sun stretched over the sky until it was almost dusk. Clouds gathered and a steady rain began to fall as if StarClan too was grieving for the young she-cat. Bluepaw and Greynose went to find cover. After a while, the rest joined them until it was only Dawnfire and Silverpebble left sitting in the rain. It was dark and the rain was falling heavier now but she didn't care. She began to groom herself, the water coming off her pelt was enough to quench a Clans' thirst.

"Dawnfire," Greynose mewed quietly coming to sit beside her. "I know your sad about Rippletail, but its night time now, you need rest." His amber eyes were filled with concern. She shook her head and pushed him away. She wanted to keep a silent vigil for Rippletail and Silverpebble was clearly doing the same.

"Ok, I understand." She could tell he was a bit hurt by her resentfulness, but a warrior deserves a vigil. even if that warrior was a medicine cat.

*****

The rain eased off as dawn came and most of the clouds had cleared. Dawnfires stomach growled with hunger and she realised that she hadn't eaten for two sunrises.

Silverpebble was beside her, lying with her nose buried into her old clanmates drenched fur. Dawnfire had pressed herself against the silver she-cat in an attempt to comfort her, but also to share body heat. they had both stayed awake all night surprisingly.

"Its alright now." Dawnfire mewed. "Its dawn. I'm sure she saw our vigil and is proud you stayed awake for her."

Silverpebble just nodded in agreement but stayed where she was. Dawnfire padded over to the holly bush where Greynose was sleeping. She woke him up. He sat bolt upright catching his head on the sharp leaves of the holly bush.

"Fox dung!" he muttered. Dawnfire let out a small purr of amusement. He pressed his muzzle into her fur. She drank in his familiar scent. 

"I'm sorry." She whispered.

"What for?" He asked pulling away.

"For last night. I didn't to push mean you away. I just wanted to kept vigil for Rippletail."

"Its fine. I understand." He muttered sadly. She could tell he was upset about Rippletail as well.

She pushed her muzzle into his. "I'm just glad it wasn't you." she whispered to him.

"Me too." He replied. 

"Is it alright if you start on her grave?" She asked. He nodded and padded away to talk to Silverpebble.

Dawnfire suddenly got the feeling she was being watched. She turned to see Foxclaw staring at her but he turned away and continued to talk to Frostflower. Was that sadness she saw in his eyes? And why?

He's probably still sad about Rippletail. She thought, but her senses told her it wasn't that. It was something else, but she couldn't quite figure it out.

What was it he was thinking?

_______________

Ohhh! Cliff-hanger!! Don't worry your paws off. I'm still writing more! :3

May StarClan light your path!!!