Chapter Nine; Redstars Possible Backdown

"What?" Dawnfire stared at her friend in disbelief. "That can't be true!"

"I'm sorry Dawnfire, its true. I'm half RiverClan." Frostflower mewed.

Dawnfire couldn't find herself to believe her. Five cats all in one clan had a secret or power. Herself, Frostflower, her sister, Ravenpaw and Greynose. 

"I'm sorry Dawnfire, but please, don't tell anyone. I want them all to still think that Runningshadow is my mother." Frostflower begged.

Dawnfire was the only one who knew all these cats secrets. "All right, I'll keep it safe."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

They both left the tree and hunted. When they returned to camp they saw Runningshadow give the yowl for a meeting. Just in time, but why isn't Redstar calling the meeting? Dawnfire thought.

"All right," shouted Runningshadow. "Now can I have everyones attention. You may notice that Redstar isn't calling the meeting. That is because he is ill."

Shocked mutters went around the camp as soon as Runningshadow gave the news.

"Mossnose is tending to him, but I want no one going in there in case it gets worse. Mossnose beleives he has whitecough so we don't want it to spread. You all know who easily whitecough can turn into greencough." Runningshadow mewed with a glance at Dawnfire. She must be remembering the leaf-bare when her mother and brother died. 

"But, we must continue Clan life. Foxclaw, I would like you to take an evening patrol along the WindClan border, take Ravenpaw and Greynose with you and salem, could you lead a patrol along the ShadowClan border, take Mudpelt and Dovepaw. Frostflower is it all right if he takes her?" Runningshadow asked.

"Yes it is." Frostflower replied.

"OK, then. Patrols, leave soon and try do a spot of hunting after." Runningshadwo ordered. The cats who were going on patrol went to get a quick rest and something to eat. Dawnfire didn't notice the deputy coming up behind her. "Dawnfire, can I talk to you about something?"

"Yeah, sure," Dawnfire wondered what was up while she followed Runningshadow up the highledge. I hope she didn't hear about Frostflower. Dawnfires heart started to beat faster and she felt fear welling up inside her for her friend. 

"I was talking to your father." Dawnfire started to calm down. "He said he only has two lifes left." That made Dawnfire tremble with faer again. "But, he told me he wants to back down as leader." Runningshadow mewed looking at her paws.

"What, like stop being leader?" Asked Dawnfire.

"Y - yes. I don't know what to say to him but after all, the leaders word is the Warrior Code." The deputy replied.

That was true, but why would he want to give up being leader? Being leader must be great, but then again, he has been leader since before Dawnfire was born and thats over three years of leadership.

"What are you going to do?" Dawnfire asked.

"If he does give up leadership, I want you to help pick out a deputy for me. You knoow some of the warriors better then I do," Runningshadow replied

"But the new leader must always pick out the deputy him or herself!" Dawnfire exclaimed.

"I know I'm sorry Dawnfire. Forget I ever asked." The deputy mewed and padded of to Redstars' den.

Dawnfire now felt bad but it was true, the leader must beleive in what is right and pick out a deputy by themselves. She padded over to where Greynose was sitting and sat down beside him. Just like normal she had that feeling again that was only caused being near him. She wished he wasn't going on patrol.

Just as if he read her thought he muttered, "I wish I could stay here with you rather than go out on patrol.

"Me too." She replied without thinking.

"Wait, Foxclaw is leading the patrol. Maybe Frostflower can take my place." Greynose mewed and he jumped up and ran over to where Foxclaw was sitting with Frostfllower. She noticed Frostflowers' eyes light up and Foxclaw nodded his eyes in agreement. Dawnfires heart lept with joy! Frostflower and Foxclaw coulde spen sometime together and her and Greynose could have time together. She got even more hapier when she realised that her and Greynose would be the only warriors in camp too!

Greynose went over to the fresh-kill pile and came back with a rabbit in his jaws. He placed it down infront of her and seated himself beside her and they shared the rabbit. She noticed Frostflower and Foxclaw go out if camp, with their tails interwined. Ravenpaw padded along infront of them and they vanished through the thorn tunnel.

When they finished the rabbit they padded into the warriors den and shared tounges. Dawnfire felt happy, with a full stomach and she was here, talking to her friend, her best friend. Her ... mate?

Greynose decided to go to sleep. Dawnfire was half expecting him to go to his own nest but he stayed beside her. Dawnfire put her head on her paws and fell asleep.