Chapter Fourteen; The Threat From Tigerstar

• Dedicated to StarClan warriors everywhere!

Stormpelt looked down at his paws looking very uncomfortable. Dawnfires' heart raced as he started to speak.

"Um... well, she's my mate."

"What? But, there isn't a cat in ShadowClan called Goldenleaf." Bluepaw protested.

"I know she isn't from ShadowClan. She's from ThunderClan."

Shocked gaspes came from the cats around them. Bluepaws' eyes widened.

"That- that's not true is it? Stormpelt, please tell me that's not true." She stammered.

"I'm sorry Bluepaw. It's true." He mewed looking away from the blue-grey she-cats gaze. He walked away to the river and sat down.

Greynose nudged her side. "Your sisters' kits are half-Clan."

"I know Greynose. I knew before the gathering." She whispered to him. "Everyone listen. I know this is a big shock, but we must continue our journey. When we get back I would like you all to keep this secret, for the sake of Stormpelt and my sister and her kits." Dawnfire mewed raising her voice for the rest of the cats to hear.

"They had kits?" Kestrelwings' shocked mewed raised above the mummers of agreement.

"Yes they did. Three." Dawnfire replied to him.

"How can we keep half-Clan cats a secret? It will get out eventually." He hissed. Dawnfire knew he was right. Half-Clan heritage never remained a secret.

"Look, Kestrelwing please. It will probably come out soon, but I want to try keeping it a secret for as long as possible. My sisters' kits are loved. I don't want that to be taken away from them this early. She trusted me with her secret." Dawnfire begged him.

"Wait. You knew already?"

"Yes, I knew since the kits were two days old. Please Kestrelwing?"

He grunted in agreement but he obviously wasn't happy.

"Right everyone. It's late, we must rest for we have a long journey ahead of us." Dawnfire ordered. The cats went into the bushes to find places to sleep. She noticed that Kestrelwing and Gorsepaw stayed where they were. She remembered going into the WindClan camp and seeing burrows that they used as dens but someone told her that they slept outside and only went into the burrows if it was bad weather.

She padded over to where Greynose lay underneath a shrub. She crouched down a wriggled under to lie beside him. Once she was in they shared tongues for a while. It was just before mooonhigh when they decided to sleep. She put her head on her paws and closed her eyes and instantly fell asleep.

Dawnfire padded through a silent forest. At first she thought she was in StarClan territory, but there was something different about the trees. Not just the trees, but the usual glint of stars were no longer present, and the moon did not shine. Just then she caught the scent of another cat. Someone was watching her. She turned around to see a pair of yellow eyes looking at her from a thorn bush. Her fur stood on end as she realised who was watching her. She had heard about this cat in nursery stories. Tigerstar.

"What do you want?" She asked him threateningly. "Where am I and why have you brought me here?"

"Young Dawnfire, you are safe. You are in the Dark Forest, the Place of no Stars, but you needn't worry. I will not hurt you." He mewed. The tone of his voice made it sound half true.

"No, I do not trust you Tigerstar. You killed innocent cats and you only answered one of my questions. Now, send me back to StarClans' grounds."

His eyes darkened and his fur bristled. "Such a bossy furball! Why do you wish to be in StarClan? Why not have powers and control. Like a bunch of dead cats are ever going to give you that!"