Chapter Two; Goldenleafs' Kits

• Dedicated to Goldenleaf and her wonderful kits

Tails lashing and fur bristling, Dawnfire signaled for her Clanmares to attack.

WindClan, suddenly surprised at the attack tried to flee but were too late!

Dawnfire pounced on top of the ginger tom, her claws raking down his side amd her teeth fastened into his scruff. He tried to shake her of, but by guessing how they looked, they must be very weak.

The ginger warrior bit into her paw. Yowling with pain she let go of him and he fled across the border and back into his own territory.

"Flamepelt!" yelled Harepaw. Harepaw must be Flamepelts' apprentice. she thought. He tore free from where he was battling with Frostflower and ran after his mentor.

Breezetail was clawing at Salem. He had Breezetail pinned down on the ground, hardly struggling against the WindClan warrior. He let go and Breeztail fled back for his own territory.

"Come on, lets get back to camp. Frostflower, take that crow you found." Dawnfire called. Her and the patrol padded back through the forest and back to the stone hollow.

Salem ran ahead to warn the Clan about what had happened and by the time they returned the whole Clan was asking questions like "Why would they do this?" and "What is wrong with them?"

Redstar the Clan leader and her father was sitting in the middle of the clearing, his tail wrapped neatly around his paws. Dawnfire couldn't help but notice how calm he seemed.

"Dawnfire, tell me what happened." he asked.Dawnfire explained how they found the crow with WindClan scent all over it and the battle with the WindClan patrol.

"From now on there will be double patrols along that border. Runningshadow get on it." he announced. "Frostflower and Salem, go eat some fresh-kill and rest. Mossnose will be there shortly to see to your wounds. Dawnfire, can I talk to you please?"

"Uh ... sure." she mewed. She followed her father up to the highledge and into his den.

"It's about Goldenleaf." Dawnfires' heart lurched as soon as he mentioned her name. Goldenleaf, was her sister. She had kits only a two sunrises ago. " She has been trying to go out at night ever since she gave birth. You two are unusually close so I thought you might know. Do you know anything?"

"No." she replied, "but I'll keep an eye on her." Dawnfire padded out of her fathers den and headed towards the nursery. She just realised that she hadn't been to see Goldenleafs' kits yet. She stepped into the nursery and was greeted by the warm scent of milk.

"Dawnfire!" Goldenleaf exclaimed. "Have you come to see my kits?"

"Yes Goldenleaf. I'm so sorry that I have not come to see them yet." she mewed to her sister. She bent her head and rubbed her muzzle against Goldenleaf's."What are their names?" she asked.

"This one is Dapplekit," she said sweeping her tail over a tortoiseshell she-kit, " Brightkit," pushing her nose into a she-kit with golden fur, "and this ones .... Stormkit." she said nudging a gray tom towards her.

"Their beautiful," she mewed. "Who fathered them?"

"Um ..... can i trust you with a secret?" she mewed almost half to her self.

"Of course you can! I'm your sister." Dawnfire replied back feeling somewhat confused.

"OK, the cat who fathered my kits," she suddenly stopped and looked as if she wern't going to say anymore but suddenly stood up and moved forwards until she was barley a mouse-lengh in front of Dawnfire. "The cat who fathered my kits is called Stormpelt. He's a ShadowClan warrior."