Epilogue

A/N The picture up there is what Rae and Kyle look like now, at age 26 ☝

----------------------------------------------------------------

Five years later

•Rae•

"Kyle, don't!" I laugh and back away as he inches closer to me, holding the brush between his fingers. "I swear, if that thing touches me--"

I don't get to finish my sentence, because Kyle catches my arm and draws a blue line on my left cheek. I try to frown but it's so hard to do while I'm on the verge of laughter. "You're supposed to finish that! They'll be here any minute now." I point towards the paper he was previously working on before he decided to draw on my face instead.

"I'm almost finished." He draws another line on my other cheek before getting back to the paper he abandoned a few seconds ago. I inch closer to him so I can admire his work. I stand behind him as he crouches down to the floor.

"This is so pretty!" I exclaim, not being able to control my smile. "Why is the 'L' capital though? It's supposed to be in small letter." I stare at the words 'Happy birthday Carol.' neatly written with his flawless handwriting.

Kyle stares at it for a moment, realizing his mistake. "Shit."

I laugh as I hug him from behind, purposely smearing the paint from my cheek to his.

"Hey!" He tries to push me back but I keep clinging to him like a monkey. So he stands up while I'm still on his back. I tighten my hold around his neck, determined to not let him throw me on the couch like he usually does.

"You're-- chocking-- me."

I gasp and jump off of him, turning him around so I can check if he's okay.

"Just kidding." He smirks at me, which I return with a frown. "These hands can't even open a jar, let alone strangle me." He holds my hands and kisses each of my palms, making me smile even though I'm trying to stay mad.

"I can open a jar." I cross my arms.

"Oh please, Carol's probably stronger than you."

We suddenly hear Carol calling for me as if she knows we're mentioning her. We both burst out laughing and I go to get her since Kyle's hands are covered in paint.

"Hey baby, when did you wake up?" I coo, walking towards her bed as she stretches her little arms towards me.

"Ma," she whins. She still doesn't know how to say mom or mommy, ma is the best she can do.

I dress her up in her new pink dress and pull her tiny hair into two ponytails. I lean forward and kiss her forehead. She's so beautiful, taking Kyle's blond hair and my blue eyes.

"Are you hungry, birthday girl? Dad's painting something special for you. So I'll have to feed you. Hope you don't mind." I chuckle, carrying her out of the room. Whether it's playing with her, or reading her bedtime stories, she always prefers Kyle over me.

She smiles at me, making my heart melt like always. I'll never get used to this. It still blows my mind that she's turning one already. Where did the time go? It feels like yesterday that I carried her in my arms for the first time, while Kyle stood next to the hospital bed tearing up.

After Kyle and I got married four years ago, I kept trying to get pregnant but it took a little over two years. This little angel is worth the wait though.

I smile at the memory of our wedding. It was the happiest day of my life. Kyle's proposal was unexpected, to say the least. No fancy dinner, no 'get ready tonight, I have something important to tell you', no suspense and build up. He just casually dropped the bomb on me while we were watching a movie one night. I remember thinking I heard him wrong, but then he muted the TV and asked me again, a serious look on his face.