Chapter twenty

"I'd rather have bad times with you, than have good times with someone else. I'd rather be beside you in a storm, than safe and warm by myself. I'd rather have hard times together, than to have it easy apart."

--------------------------

Rae•

I groan as my phone blares from next to my head. I'm confused for a moment, but then I remember that I had set an alarm for 7:00 am last night while waiting up for Kyle.

At the thought of him, I quickly sit up and glance around. I'm still on the couch where I last remember lying down on, but the duvet on top of me is an addition. That's the only indication I get of Kyle coming home last night. At least he slept here. I breathe out in relief.

My head is pounding slightly, but my headache isn't as bad as it was yesterday. I sigh at the thought of what happened yesterday. While we were having breakfast in that suffocating silence, I desperately wanted to say something and break it. I wanted to apologize again, or do whatever I had to do to make things go back to the way they were. But before I could make a move, he walked away and went into the bedroom. And while I was preparing my apology speech still standing right where Kyle left me, he walked out of the apartment without a second glace at me. And what disappointed me the most was the fact that he stayed out all day.

I take a deep breath before walking into the bedroom. Kyle is still asleep, and either he rolled in his sleep or did it on purpose he's on my side of the bed. He always gets up before me, no matter how late we stayed up the previous day. But I knew I couldn't count on him to wake me up when I wasn't even sure he would come home last night, that's why I set the alarm on my phone. And it seems like I made the right decision or else I would've risked missing a lesson or two.

I stand there for a minute just staring at him. Since he's supposed to start the business course today, I know I have to wake him up. But I go into the bathroom instead, deciding to shower first. I come out after I'm done and start getting dressed. I hear him stir which means he's waking up. So I face the mirror and fix my hair before applying my nude lipstick. I feel his eyes on me, but I don't meet his gaze. I grab my shoes and walk out of there instead.

Knowing he needs time to shower and get ready himself, I head to the kitchen so I can make breakfast. He comes out just as I'm finishing up, dressed and looking refreshed. I put his food on a plate and set it in front of him, and he starts eating without glancing up at me. I do the same, the silence between us making me scream on the inside. I decide to talk to him before I lose my chance again, but the doorbell suddenly rings making us glance up at each other.

He looks away and stands up to open the door, while I rush to the bedroom to get my bag.

I hear Jess and Trevor greeting him, and they're already standing in the living room by the time I walk out.

I give them a hug, forcing myself to smile. "How was your trip?"

Jess narrows her eyes at me. "That's not important now. What's with your faces? Please tell me you made up already."

Kyle ignores her while heading to the couch, and Trevor follows after him.

"Well..." I start, not knowing how to explain what happened.

"What's going on, Rae? Tell me!" she urges me to go on, her eyebrows raised in expectation.

"I-- uh..." I run my fingers through my hair in frustration. "I sent our address to your mom behind Kyle's back and she showed up here."

Jess looks emotionless for a moment, but then her mouth slowly opens and she stares at me in disbelief. "You did what?"

"I'm sorry," is all I can say.