Chapter twenty-six

"Every positive change in your life begins with a clear decision that you either do something or stop doing something."

-------------------------------

Rae•

Two days have passed since Jess decided to keep the baby, but Trevor is no where to be found.

She hadn't wasted a minute to call him that night, eager to let him know that she changed her mind about the pregnancy, but he didn't pick up. She wanted to talk to him in person, so she left a text asking to meet up. He didn't reply. She went over to his house the next day, but he wasn't there either. If she didn't have the spare key and knocked instead of getting into the house, she would've thought he was ignoring her on purpose. But as she went in and checked his bedroom, she realized most of his clothes were gone.

Jess came back to our apartment right after that, crying just like the day before. We couldn't do anything because his phone wasn't working at all.

It's the third day now, and there's still no sign of Trevor. Jess stayed with us the whole time, insisting to spend the nights on the couch even though Kyle offered her his side of the bed.

"I should've told him when I still had the chance," she mumbles, while the three of us are having lunch in the kitchen. "That night when I left the text, I should've told him my decision then. He probably thought I wanted to apologize or something. If he knew I changed my mind... he wouldn't have left. Now I don't even know where he is."

"I'm sure he'll be back soon," I try to assure her, reaching out to hold her hand. "His... vacation, won't last forever, right? Trust me he's still gonna be so happy when you tell him."

"It'll be fine sis, don't worry about it," Kyle adds. "It's you and Trevor, nothing will separate you."

"Getting an abortion would," she mutters. "Which is what he thinks I'm gonna do. Or already have done."

"But that's not what happened. So everything will be just fine, trust me," I tell her.

My phone rings at that moment, and both Kyle and Jess stare at it expectantly. "Is it..." she trails off with a hopeful look.

"It's just Peter," I tell them, glancing at the screen.

Jess slumps back into her seat in disappointment. I don't even know why they thought Trevor would call me first out of the three of us.

"Why would he be calling you? Something must've happened," Kyle mumbles.

I pick up. "Hello?"

"Hello, Raelyn," Peter starts. "I called to inform you something."

"Okay." I hold my breath.

"We caught the suspects. We are still questioning them now but there's no doubt it was them who hired that man to cause that fire. It's a matter of time before we get them to confess."

"Wow," I breathe out. "I mean, thank you. I'm glad it's over."

"There's something else you should know."

"What is it?"

"After we found out that the murder was committed as a revenge on your grandparents, we contacted them and made them come to the police station to ask them some questions. And the surprising thing was, they didn't know about their daughter's death."

"They didn't?" I ask in surprise.

"Yes, and after they gave us the information we needed, they started asking questions about you."