Chapter five

"There are only four words that mean so much more than I love you, and those words are I'm here for you."

-----------------------------

•Rae•

"Rae!"

I look up startled and frown at Jess in confusion.

"You're zoning out again," she says with a sigh.

"Oh, were you-- were you talking to me?" I ask, leaning up on the couch.

Jess looks at me with sad eyes. "Yeah, but don't worry about that now. It was pointless anyway."

It's always about Trevor if she calls it pointless.

"No, tell me. What did he do?" I insist.

"I'll tell you later," she says, holding my hand. "Let's talk about you now. You don't seem okay and it's been the same since you heard about the case."

Nodding, I look down. "Yeah, I'm not okay. How can I be?"

"It's been two weeks already. Why aren't the police finding anything? Maybe you should call the detective and ask him about the case?"

I stare down at our intertwined hands and stay silent.

"I know it's hard but don't you think you should help them out so they can solve it sooner?"

Looking up at her, I sigh. "Do you think I don't want to help out? I desperately want them to uncover the truth as soon as possible but I can't offer my help in any way. I don't even remember the names of my parents' coworkers."

Jess is about to answer me but we suddenly hear the front door open. Kyle walks into the living room while taking his jacket off.

"Hey." He leans in to kiss my cheek.

"I'm here too, brother." Jess huffs as he sits beside me.

He just smiles at her before turning his attention back to me. "Did you eat lunch?"

"No, I was waiting for you."

Jess stands up and starts heading to the kitchen. "I'll go make something."

"No need for that," Kyle says, making her turn around. "Rae and I will go out and eat outside. You go to Trevor."

"But why?" Jess asks in a whiny voice. "I was planning to spend my afternoon with her."

"Go spend it with him. It's Sunday, you're both free."

"You always ruin my plans, Kyle."

"Just go, Sis. You'll thank me later."

Shrugging, she grabs her bag from the couch. "Fine, but you'll make it up to me tomorrow. You guys will take me to any club I choose and you'll be paying, bro."

"Only if Trevor's coming along." Kyle smirks at her.

"Trevor, Trevor, Trevor!" She rolls her eyes in annoyance. "He's my boyfriend, not yours. Forget about him for once!"

This one must've been a big fight. Oh Trevor, what on earth did you do this time?

She glares at Kyle as he chuckles. Her expression softenes as she looks at me. "Bye, Rae. Have fun and try to avoid the negative thoughts, okay?"

I nod and she gives Kyle one last annoyed look before leaving.

He looks back at me and brushes my hair back with his fingers. "Should I cook or do you wanna order something?"