Chapter fourteen

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves memories no one can steal."

--------------------------------------

•Rae•

"What else did you do today?" I ask Kyle as we eat dinner on the couch.

"I went to the store." He glances at me and the corners of his lips lift in an amused smile. "Jason hugged me goodbye and even tried to stop her from firing me."

"I knew I liked him for a reason." I chuckle as I take a bite from my pepperoni pizza. He seemed like a pretty cool guy from what I've seen the few times I went to that store to see Kyle.

Ever since Jess left, we've been watching some TV trying to distract ourselves. When we told her about their dad, she reacted just like I expected her to-- which was yelling and cursing for ten minutes straight. When she finally calmed down, she asked us what else we knew and Kyle told us that he went to their old house and found their uncle instead of their mom.

Jess was very surprised that he  willingly went there but she didn't question him about it. The three of us had lunch together and then Jess left to meet up with Trevor.

I glance at Kyle and notice that he has a thoughtful frown on his face. "Hey," I say, making him look at me. "Stop frowning. You're gonna get a headache." I reach up and smooth out his eyebrows.

He chuckles and turns his attention back to the TV.

I wonder how he felt to be back in his childhood home. Did it provide some sort of closure for him?

A thought suddenly crosses my mind and I freeze for a moment.

I place the slice of pizza back into the box and glance at Kyle. He's staring at the TV screen but just like the past few days there's a distant look on his face.

"Kyle?" I say quietly, and he glances at me.

"Yeah?"

"Uh..." I hesitate and shake my head. "Nothing."

He stares at the side of my face as I keep fidgeting with my hands. "Rae, come on. What is it?"

It's too late to back out now.

"I just... I've never visited my parents... you know, their graves..." I say, and he raises his brows in surprise. "Maybe I can go there tomorrow. Do you think it's a good idea?"

Kyle looks into my eyes for a moment before nodding. "Yeah, I think you should do it."

I nod and face the TV again, but questions keeps running through my mind. "What about my old home? Maybe I should visit it too. How did you feel... I mean what was it like for you to be back in your old house?"

He glances at me and takes a deep breath. "It was depressing, to be honest. I felt... uncomfortable being there. It's like the memories are more powerful and visual when you're in the place where they were formed."

I nibble on my bottom lip, nervous to go though with my sudden plan.

But then Kyle takes my hand in his and looks me in the eyes. "But it won't be the same for you, Rae. You had good memories there so I don't think it'll affect you in a bad way."

I nod as I place my head on his shoulder, making up my mind that tomorrow would be the day I finally visit them.

*    *    *

I don't go back home after school. I walk towards my old neighborhood instead, deciding to see my house first before visiting my parents grave. Kyle offered to come with me but I told him this is something I need to do alone. I glance at my phone's screen to check the time. It's almost mid day so he's probably back in his old house by now, talking to his mother.