Chapter two

"As soon as we think we're safe, something unexpected happens."

-------------------------

•Rae•

I zip up my jacket. The cold is unbearable just like it has been the previous nights. I hear the front door open and close, but I'm preoccupied with making my ultimate comfort food mac and cheese that I don't bother to look up.

"What's that smell? You didn't burn anything, did you?"

I huff in annoyance as I turn towards Kyle and he embraces me with a hug. "It's not funny," I mumble against his chest.

He chuckles and releases me before taking a seat on the stool in front of the cabinet.

"It was only one time!" I continue to complain. "I'm a great cook. Even better than your YouTube taught self. I never ruin anything in the kitchen. That time I just... forgot about the chicken in the oven and took a long shower, that's all."

I notice how tired he looks as I glance at him. "How's work?"

"Exhausting," he says without skipping a beat. "I'll make Jason pay me back though. He'll cover for me tomorrow afternoon so you and I can finally go out together."

"Really?" I can't hide the excitement in my voice. I'm not fond of going out as much as I was when I was younger, but I miss our little dates because it's been a while.

"Mm-hm." He nods.

"Where're we going?"

I look up when he doesn't answer and find him raising his brow at me.

"Eager much?"

Rolling my eyes, I go back to melting butter for the topping. "I have to know so I can decide what I'm gonna wear."

"Wanna try that again, but more convincing this time?"

"I'm serious. I haven't done my laundry in a while, the only clean clothes I have are a pair of jeans and two shirts."

"Still not convinced."

I give him my best unimpressed look, making him chuckle.

"Fine, I'll tell you." He pauses. "Ready?"

"Seriously?"

"I'm about to tell you."

I look at him expectantly.

"We'll be going to..."

"to...?" I urge him to go on as my patience runs thin.

"The destination shall remain a secret for now," he says smugly.

"Kyle!"

"I'll go change." He quickly stands up but I grab his shirt with my free hand while stirring the pasta with the other.

"You're not going anywhere," I state, trying my best to look somewhat threatening.

He effortlessly unfolds my fingers gripping his shirt and frees himself with ease. He quickly kisses my cheek before rushing to our bedroom. "Don't burn our dinner!" he yells before disappearing from my sight.

"I hate you!" I shout, trying to fight against my smile with no success.

*  *  *

The next day goes by pretty slow. I went to the nursing school like I do five days a week. When I first decided to become a nurse two years ago, I had to choose a career path from the endless list of specialities along with a variety of medical facilities in which I can work. I needed an acceptable highschool GPA or have good grades to any post secondary education I've already completed to apply. And affording the tuition wasn't a problem thanks to my part time job at the hotel Jess worked at. Shelley emailed me from time to time and also helped me a lot for these past two years.

Hospitals have open volunteer opportunities, from working in the emergency department to assisting with childcare. It'll give me valuable experience and connects me to professionals who could be important resources as I start my career. So I've been volunteering three times a week for a few months now. Only a year left before I can become a certified nurse.

Despite the tiring day I went through, I rush home excited to spend time with Kyle. He's already waiting for me so I quickly shower and change into one of the few dresses I own.

I let my hair down and wear the high hills I bought for special occasions. Kyle grins at me as I walk into the living room.

"I was wondering what took so long until I saw you."

"Thanks. You don't look so bad yourself."

"I don't look so bad?" he repeats, pretending to be offended. "I put in a lot of effort for my girlfriend and she can't even compliment me properly. That's really sad."

I roll my eyes but my ringtone interrupts me before I can reply. The only people that actually call me are Jess and Trevor, so I frown in confusion realizing it's an unknown call.

"Hello?"

"Good afternoon, this is from the police station." A deep voice answers me from the other side of the line.

"The police station?" My heart beat quickens, and Kyle frowns in confusion.

"Yes. May I speak to Ms. Raelyn Prescott?"

"Um, yeah. T-this is she."

What the person informs me next, brings back the choking sense of despair I know too well. I clutch the phone tighter so it wouldn't slip between my shaky fingers.

"What is it?" Kyle is next to me in a second.

"O--okay. I'll... yeah, I'll be there tomorrow." I hang up and stare into his eyes.

"What is it?" he asks again.

"It's about my parents. They-- they said that they're opening the case again. To investigate further."

"What? Why?" he asks, confused.

"The fire wasn't an accident. It was... it was murder." It sinks in as soon as I say the words, and I cover my mouth tightly as my eyes start filling with tears.

---------------------------------

A/N
These two just can't live in peace hehe*looks down in guilt*

I really hope you guys aren't disappointed with the two years time jump from when they were released from the hospital. I had to do this because of the plot I have in mind for this book. Next chapter will be in Kyle's p.o.v.