Chapter nine

"At the end of the day, you can either focus on what's tearing you apart or what's keeping you together."

---------------------------

•Kyle•

I have only one thought going through my mind as we walk out of that church. Get as far away as you can from that woman.

All I wanted while she was talking was to bolt out of there in the speed of lightning or better yet disappear into thin air. Her words seem to echo inside my head no matter how hard I try to forget them. 'He left behind wonderful memories that will always be cherished by his family.'

Cherished my ass.

"Let's grab lunch together." Trevor's voice snaps me out of my miserable thoughts.

"Yeah," Jess and Rae agree in unison.

We've walked only for a few minutes, and in my opinion it still isn't nearly enough distance between us and that woman.

Rae glances up at me as if asking for my approval, and I reluctantly nod.

We walk into the diner and Trevor and Jess take a seat at a nearby table while Rae and I sit across from them.

After we order our food, we remain silent for a few moments, a tense atmosphere surrounding us.

"I'm proud of you for sitting through that, babe." Trevor's quiet voice brakes the silence at last.

Jess glances at him and offers a small smile.

"Yeah, I know it was really hard for both you and Kyle," Rae adds, putting her hand on top of mine under the table.

I intertwine our fingers as our hands rest on top of my lap. "Yeah, but let's forget that now. It's not worth ruining our day over."

I know that's not even close to the truth and from the look on their faces they do too, but they accept it for my sake and move on.

Our meals arrive and we start to eat in silence. After a while Rae asks Trevor about his mom, who's been in the hospital for days getting treatment for her kidney infection. Rae and I have visited her once, which was the first time we met her face to face. She's a sweet woman who accepted and treated Jess as her son's future wife, and it's a relief to hear him say she's getting better.

Since Trevor was a straight A student his whole life, he had been able to get a scholarship to Harvard and got his law degree a few months ago. He became a successful lawyer just like his mother and grandfather, but he's currently waiting for some huge law firm to accept his résumé so he can quit his job at his current 'lame' company. I personally think his monthly pay is more than enough for him to lead a comfortable life, but he always complains that it isn't satisfying enough.

"How's work?" Jess asks me. "That evil witch fired you yet?"

I shake my head as Rae and Trevor chuckle. "Not yet, surprisingly."

"But one more absence and she just might," Rae adds.

My phone rings at that exact moment and I take it out of my pocket to see that it's Mrs. Anderson.

"Speak of the devil," I mumble under my breath before picking up.

"Kyle." Her quiet, chilling voice greets me before I can say a word.

"Uh, hi Mrs. Ander-"

"Where are you?" she demands. "It's quarter to three, Kyle. Three. 2:45 pm."

"Yeah, I told Jason--"

"I don't give a damn what you told Jason because you were supposed to be here before 2:00. And you're not. End of story."

"Something came up and--"

"Like I said, I don't give a damn." She cuts me off in her usual calm voice.

Is this woman gonna let me explain or what?

"It was a family emergency." I try for the last time. "I thought he could cover for me for one last--"

"And what is he, your slave? Shall I cut half of your salary and hand it to him each month? Doesn't he have a life? People to meet and places to get to?"

I get where she's coming from, I really do. And I've been feeling guilty for making Jason do all the work for the past few days. But she has to at least hear me out and try to understand.

"You're fired."

The words I've been dreading to hear for months finally come out of her mouth.

"You can come whenever so I can pay you off. Good bye."

After she hangs up on me, I look up to three worried faces staring at me expectantly. "It's done. I'm fired." I shrug.

"Oh snap." Trevor flinches. "I guess she's had it with you and was only waiting for one more opportunity to get rid of you."

"Want me to go over and whoop her ass, bro?" Jess asks me with a serious look. "Rae can help too."

I chuckle in amusement as Rae shoots her a horrified look. "No need for that. It's about time I start taking that business administration course anyway."

I've been planning to do that for the past two years. This is the final push I needed.

"Really?" Rae gives me a hopeful look.

"Yeah." I shrug. "I've saved enough money so... I don't see why not."

"Damn, I'm jealous." Jess says with a sigh. "I wanna quit that horrible job too. I've never wanted to be a waitress, but now that I'm sick of it I hate it even more. Oh how I wish I could just quit!"

"You will, babe." Trevor pecks her on the cheek. "After I get that job-- which I'm positive will happen really soon, we'll move in together and you wouldn't have to work anymore."

Her eyes widen and she quickly glances at Rae. She's been telling her he would eventually ask her to move in with him but Jess never listened to her. I glance at Rae to see her mouthing 'Told you' to Jess.

Jess grins at her and turns back to Trevor so she can give him a kiss.

"Is that a yes?" he asks as she pulls back.

"Fuck yes," she mumbles and gives him a quick kiss again. "I thought you'd never ask."

He smiles and they start kissing again which quickly escalates to a make out session.

"Get a room," I say to them, and Rae nudges me on the side with her elbow.

"Let them be, this is a special moment."

"No, Rae." Trevor grins as they finally pull apart. "He's actually right. We should get a room."

Jess smirks as I raise my brows. "Yeah, babe. I think we should, too."

I watch with a frown as she pulls him up with her. "I didn't mean it literally..." I mumble as my big brother instincts kick in, which makes Rae laugh and lean her head on my shoulder.

"Too late, Kyle. You already presented the idea and they gladly took it."

Jess shoots us one last smirk before they both wave at us and rush out of the diner.

I turn to Rae as she raises her head up from my shoulder. "So..." I trail off while bringing my hand up to tuck part of her hair behind her ear, which keeps escaping out of her ponytail ever since she had it cut short. "Since we're both free this afternoon..."

She bites her lip realizing exactly what I'm suggesting, but decides to be annoying and tease me. "Yeah... what shall we do in all the free time we've got..." she trails off with an innocent look, making me shake my head with a chuckle. "We can get a room too, I guess," she adds while leaning in to give me a quick kiss.

"And the best part is, we already got one." I smirk.

"Then get your ass out of that seat," she whispers playfully and stands up with a grin.

I don't need to be told twice. We walk out of the diner hand in hand.

Yeah, I sat through my father's funeral and lost my job today. But as always, Rae has the ability to make my troubles disappear.