27 - Tuttugu og Sjó

We were walking through the dense forest behind our house in silence.

I'd changed into sweats and Renee had borrowed some of my old running shoes which barely fit her. She was a few inches taller than me.

She had Gramma's height, and I- well, I'd always been towards the more petite side.

"But we made up for it with strength and skill," Ima countered. She hated the word 'petite' especially when used for me or her.

"You could say that. But I'm definitely not as good as I used to be," I replied, watching Renee walk ahead of me. Clearly she was in a rush to get home soon.

"Something tells me we'll need all the strength we can muster for the next few days. Physically and emotionally," Ima said.

"What? Like the Liet initiation test?" I scoffed. Perhaps that test wasn't going be a complete waste.

When Ima remained quiet at that, I had to ask again.

"Why Ima?" I asked her, slightly worried.

"I don't mean anything like that initiation. I have other things on my mind.

If they know where we are, who we are, then things may not be as simple as they seem right now.

It's not just Sgriosaire anymore Rayne. That's what's worrying me," she said.

"Well thank you for covering my anxiety quota of the week," I said to her. Unfortunately, I wasn't being sarcastic.

"Hey," Renee called out to me from a few paces away, where she stood waiting with her hands on her hips. "You're awfully slow."

"You've got long ass legs, it's not my fault," I said as I reached her.

"But you've always been faster. Something bothering you?" she asked me. I guess, being overtly perceptive is an inherent trait that comes with being a mother.

Nope. She's already worrying about me way too much. I don't need to add the reasons of my anxiety to her plate.

"I'm good," I said to her.

She gave me a look that said 'sure'. But she didn't push it.

"Here," she said, giving me a small vial.

Its shape was specific and recognizable. I could tell this vial was a Haykadi signature.

"What's this?" I asked her.

"Cloveroot potion," she said. "We both take a sip, then we can mindlink as long as it's in our system. I came up with it myself."

She seemed proud of her creation. Haykadi was good for her.

Otto was good for her.

"And why would we need that?" I asked her, shaking my head.

"In case you get kidnapped. I need to be able to communicate with you so I can track you down," she said.

I laughed and took a small sip, handing it to her. She took a sip too, and gave the vial back.

"You keep it," she said.

I gave her a small smile and put it in my pocket.

"Calling you paranoid was an understatement," I said.

Renee just shrugged, as we walked on ahead.

"There it is," she said in my mind, pointing towards the cottage.