17 - Sautjánda

Thankfully Sven had booked a window seat on the crowded plane.

I didn't even ask Valente if he'd want it before I sat in it. Even though I had traveled a bit, I had only sat on a plane once, and it was during night time.

This time, I wanted to see the view in the sun.

Valente took his place beside me after putting our backpacks in the storage above us.

We didn't get a second look the entire way through the airport and to the plane, which I decided was a good thing. Renee's vial worked.

Once the plane started moving, it finally hit me.

I'm going home.

I hadn't even considered the thought of ever going back there in whatever was left of my entire extended werewolf life. And here I was, on a plane to Fathilagt with my mate beside me.

With Valente beside me.

He held my hand and stroked it gently with his thumb. I smiled at him in response.

"Sorry I stole this seat. It's for the view," I told him.

He just smiled wider as he looked at me.

"It's okay. I don't mind mine," he said, smirking.

"Ugh tell him to stop, I'll just die now," Ima said in my mind, clearly annoyed by his cheesiness. But it sure made me feel warm inside.

I looked away from him to hide my blush and smile, and instead watched the city come to life in the early hours of the day. It was a beautiful city, but a city I wasn't sure I'd miss.

My eyes were drooping now from the exhaustion, and I knew I wouldn't be able to stay up much longer.

I turned back to see Valente, who clearly needed to sleep too. His one hour nap only lasting him this long.

As my eyes started to close, I felt his hand tighten around mine as he put his head on my shoulder. I knew this was the most comfortable I could possibly get on this budget airline, and I didn't mind it at all.

I rested my head on his and fell asleep faster than I could say my name.

...

I had woken up but I couldn't open my eyes. The sky was too bright and I was shivering, a cold breeze hitting my skin wherever it could, freezing me to the bone.

I was terrified. Wind on an airplane was never a good thing. Nothing about the situation seemed right.

It took me a few minutes to realize that something was definitely wrong when I couldn't feel the ground underneath my feet.

My eyes instantly shot open and I realized that I was falling.

I screamed, flailing my arms and legs in the air as I fell. All the fear I had was gone.

Only panic remained.

As my body moved in the wind putting my legs above me, I saw the cottage right underneath me.

Have I died already?

Nothing else could explain what's happening.

When I couldn't scream anymore, and I hadn't touched the ground yet, my movements slowed on their own.

I stopped thrashing about, still breathing heavily, the cold air nipping at my skin.

The cottage wasn't coming any nearer.

It remained in its place, painted a simple yellow, unmoving and just there.

That's when I realized. I was too, unmoving and just there.

It took me more than just a few minutes to get my breathing back to normal. And even then I knew that my heart rate was still up.

As I regained a little control of my body, I pushed myself upright again.

I wasn't falling.

I was floating.

Right above the cottage in this dream-like state. Suspended.

I noticed a large, dark cloud was moving towards me from a distance.

I tried to swim in the air to get closer, but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be in my head.

I had no option but to stay in one place and watch the cloud get closer as the gentle wind carried it towards me.

It seemed to get much bigger as it moved, and I put my head back to watch as it kept drifting above my head.

I felt it stop moving when it was directly on top of me, perhaps only a foot away.

It was close enough for me to touch, and the tiniest hint of claustrophobia made its way to the surface. It's humongous size made me feel like an invisible burden was placed on my chest.

I never thought about what it would feel like to touch a cloud, it was just water after all. But I decided to do it anyway.

I reached above my head and touched the cloud.

It felt exactly how I thought it would.

Cold.

But something solid, yet soft brushed my fingers and I immediately took my hand back.

Not out of fear, but being startled.

I braved my hand back towards the cloud, this time a little slower, reaching out further into the dense cloud.

I felt it again, and caught it.

I pulled my hand back and opened it to find a flower nestled in my palm.

A yellow daisy.

It was beautiful. The daisy made me feel a strong emotion. It made me feel happy, but it was stronger than just that, and it brought tears to my eyes which I hadn't anticipated.

I laughed softly as my tears fell. I was overwhelmed with emotion at the sight of it.

Another daisy fell on my shoulder, lightly tapping it before slipping and falling towards the cottage that was painted the same color as the flower in my hand.

As I watched it fall, I saw more flowers falling towards the grassy plain, sprinkling the green with the tiniest hints of yellow.

I looked back at the cloud above me, only to find that it was raining daisies.

More clouds gathered towards where I was, dropping flowers on the endless green field as they made their way there.

As I turned to look at the sun that was hiding behind the flower rainclouds, the falling daisies dotted my view of the bright blue sky above the horizon, where it met the bright green grass halfway.

The flowers fell as if slowed in time, and the sky began to take on different colors, as if a brilliant artist couldn't make up their mind on what the sky should look like.

It turned from blues, to purples, to reds, to pinks, to oranges and yellows just like the flowers that had now completely carpeted the field beneath me.

I watched the changing hues of the landscape as the sky started turning into a color I knew was probably outside the visible spectrum, but regardless of whether I could define it, it was still a spectacular sight.

The daisies rained around me turning the green to yellow, and I felt for a moment, that perhaps this is what heaven would feel like.

My calm was interrupted by a voice that I hadn't heard in a very long time, but one that I very well knew.

"Enjoying the view Raynhildur?"

...
.
.
.
.

Author's Note:

pls vote+comment, it makes me feel nice :)

U all so cool btw 🥺❤️