12 - Tolfta

"It's not easy to tell a dyrith apart from regular werewolves," Carson said. "That's because werewolves are such dominating creatures, their traits always take the forefront. Dyriths need really significant features of their other half to display their nature to an untrained eye."

"You could be in the company of a dyrith and you wouldn't be able to tell if they are one," Hayes said.

"But you could instantly tell I was one," I said to Carson.

He smirked at that.

"Didn't I tell you? Your eyes gave you away," he said. 

Hayes nodded.

"Your true nature becomes apparent to those who you share a close bond with," he said. "And also, it's sometimes easier for dyriths to sniff each other out, even though that may not always be the case."

Wait, what?

"Carson could easily confirm that you were a dyrith because he is one too. They both are," Sven said, pointing towards the twins.

The bond I shared with Gramma and Valente was probably the reason why they could tell that I was a dyrith. And Carson knew because he was one himself.

"Our father is a werewolf, and our mother is a Fae, from amongst the forest folk," Hayes said.

I looked at the twins in front of me. I couldn't tell they were dyriths even though I was one myself. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, or I just didn't know that I could tell if I looked hard enough.

"But nothing can give you away, physically I mean," I said looking at them. They both seemed perfectly human, and nothing about them was out of the ordinary.

Carson stood up and walked towards where Valente and I were sitting.

He turned around as he reached me, sitting on his knees with his back facing me.

"Touch my back," he said in a quiet voice.

I looked at Valente hesitantly, but he gave me an encouraging nod. I could tell by his silence that he was just as intrigued as I was.

I touched Carson's back gently, underneath his nape and felt nothing out of the ordinary. But even with that simple touch, I knew exactly what he was trying to show me.

Instantly my hands reached below both his shoulders and I felt slight protrusions underneath Carson's tshirt.

"Wings," I whispered to myself, almost wondering if this was real.

Valente moved closer to me to get a better look. He didn't show any difference in demeanor, but I knew he was thinking the same thing as I was.

What does this mean for me?

As Carson walked to his place on the sofa opposite to us, Hayes continued to explain.

"They've not sprouted yet, but mom says they may come sooner than we'd think," he said, the tiniest hint of excitement in his voice.

"I wish it was that simple for me," I said dejectedly.

"Like I said before. Dyriths do inherit both sides of their lineage but more often than not, the werewolf side takes over," Carson said.

"That's why it's not easy for Dyriths to immediately tell if another person or they themselves are one or not, especially without a distinctive feature.

"Plus, creatures with human-like structures, for example elves, dwarves, vampires, and even those of the fae may not show any distinctive characteristics till a much later age because most of their physical features are common to werewolves," Hayes said.

I began to wonder how old these two really were and what defined a 'later age'.

I didn't let my thoughts wander too far though, and told them what I was really concerned about.

"But I don't have any physical pointers that tell me exactly what creature one of my parents were," I said to them.

"Your unique eyes are enough to give us an idea," Carson said.

"And as far as we can tell Rayne, your eyes belong to those amongst the forest folk.

I think that's a start."