40: Rain On Me

JAY

Minutes have been passing, the seconds ran fast, and my mind was settling to nowhere. My right hand has been unconsciously moving the mouse on the screen with my eyes following the cursor. Behind it was an Excel document that I had been doing but to no concentration.

Sitting slightly slouched resting my head on the backrest. Two nights had me thinking how to undo things. On how stupid of me to do such clumsy actions.

From my rearview, I saw Aiden rise from his seat. As he was about to approach my area, I turned my seat to face him, Aiden had my attention. His eyebrows raised but his stern face tells how busy he had been since he started the shift.

"Can I bother you for a second?"

I clicked on the browser that's been hiding on the taskbar to reveal how I multitask logging in on my Facebook. Lumabas ang news feed at tinuro sa akin ni Aiden kung paano ang mag-unblock ng user. I tried following this one video on YouTube but the video wasn't the updated version of Facebook.

"Sino bang ia-unblock mo?" The curiosity in Aiden fills in as he stood after bending to teach me. "Don't tell me," He looked up thinking of something that made him smirk. "I think I read that article last night."

"What article?" Not to make obvious actions, but I certainly pretend I didn't know.

Aiden gave me his smug expression, patting me twice on the shoulder.

"Don't worry, mas gwapo ka pa din doon."

I rolled my eyes back to the screen and sat accordingly with my elbows standing on the edge of my desk. Lalo lang akong nakaramdam ng inis nang maalala ang itsura ng kasama ni ano doon.

Nighttime came, quite tired from a whole day of work. If there's something good that happened today is that I got home an hour earlier than my usual time. My left shoulder felt heavy as I let my bag hanging on it. Music blasting on my ears as the elevator doors opened to the floor where my unit at.

The usual dim-lit pavement welcomed me. Though I couldn't hear any sound, sure the hallways are damn quiet. As I turn to the hallway leading to my unit, there I saw a woman standing sideways, her distinct hair tied in a bun wearing denim shorts covering half of her thighs and a loose dark blue round neck shirt.

"Kaira?" I removed the other side of my earphone.

She turned the moment she heard her name. "Oy,"

Her smile never faded until I stood before her. "Kumusta? Kanina ka pa d'yan?"

"Mga less than five minutes. Pero ayos lang," She said.

"Is there anything up?"

"Remember the dinner I told you? I'm having samgyupsal tonight. Are you available to come over?"

And how can I insist on this type of invitations? "Sure. Magpapalit lang ako ng damit." I unzip the front pocket of my bag to reach for my door keys. "You want to wait inside. I'll be quick."

"Hindi na. Hintayin na lang kita sa unit."

Before making her way to the lift, she told me her unit number.

Immediately, as I drop my bag on the table inside my room, I took out some proper pambahay clothing. Showered in lukewarm water for less than ten minutes, scrubbing myself thoroughly yet fast. And in a snap, I am now wearing an Adidas black jogging pants and a plain white shirt. I checked on my pantry or refrigerator but I have nothing to bring. Sarili ko na lang muna ang dadalhin ko.

I kept my eyes looking at the unit numbers attached to the eye-level part of the doors. And as I saw where I am about to head, I took a deep breath before knocking. I composed myself. Then the door opened.