EPILOGUE

Six years after...

The sun hasn't gone out fully from its hiding place. The cold ambiance of the early morning embraces the whole community. Nakakatamad pang bumangon sa pagkakahiga. But from afar, the rooster has taken its morning alarm and that's the sign it's time for me to get up.

Still feeling the cold breeze from the early morning when I woke up. Moves carefully out of the bed to not disturb Andres still sleeping soundly beside me. Had a quick shower, ginaw na ginaw pa pero kailangan maligo, dressed into comfortable working clothes as I cling onto my forearms my uniform, and walks out of the house.

The long road is yet far from the daily chaos of people walking and vehicles raveling back-and-forth. I crossed the road to reach my destination. Kung ang ilan ay mahimbing pa ang mga tulog sa kanilang mga higaan, kami, simula na ng trabaho. The iron grilled-gate coated in maroon was already open as I made my way in.

Inside our now-restored and renovated ancestral house filled with nothing but noises of rearranging furniture, opening, and closing of doors, chopping of ingredients onto wooden boards, stirring of pots and pans, and so on.

"Morning, Chef Jay!" They greeted me as soon as I entered the kitchen.

The kitchen was part of the renovation and was built specifically for the new house. Still, we maintained the walls and other fixtures but made it an upgrade into a commercial kitchen. Brand new matte white tiles on the floor, newly coated walls in white, installed high-end gas ranges, and other kitchen equipment.

I put my bag on the metal shelving rack and cloaks on my white chef's uniform. I had my hairnet on before covering my head with a white mushroom hat. I rolled my sleeves up to my elbow and Willie, one of our cooks throws in our uniformed black apron with the logo of the restaurant on the upper left.

"Good morning, everyone! Ready for today?"

I am still in awe thinking that what we only had planned came to reality. Para pa rin akong nanaginip each time I look at this old house and transformed it back into how it looked a long time ago. Refurnishing it with modern installations to fit the current time.

Just perfect.

It was a long process but the process has given us so much learning and courage to pursue this goal. At first, we thought it would be impossible. Wala pa naman kaming ganoon kalaking ipon para simulan ito. But what is happening now is a testament that nothing is impossible.

Six years has been long. But it happened so quickly. It wasn't what I planned but what fate has planned for me. And fate planned all this with not only me but with Andres beside me. He is the biggest blessing I have encountered in my whole existence.

And today is the start of the dream Andres and I built together. Something we both wanted and to honor the legacy of our families, especially our grandparents Juan Pablo and Aurora.

That is why we called this place 'Casa Amore'. A safe space for love of all kinds. Fearless, no judgment kind of love. One will feel it through our service and to the undeniably delicious courses of food we have crafted.

"Chef Rubi, could you check on the beef? Tapos na yata 'yon pakuluan." I asked my sous chef, Rubi. Hindi ko maiwan ang niluluto kong putahe sa kalan.

Rubi is the daughter of Andres's then-family caretaker of their ancestral house. Andres saw potential in her that he shouldered her college fee until she graduated. Pangarap na noon pa ni Rubi ang magluto at makapagtayo ng sariling restaurant. She studied a short course of culinary while I had mine for a year.

Ngayon, kaming dalawa ang namamahala sa kusina.

"Yes, chef." Ibinaba niya sandali ang tinitimpla na salad dressing at nagtungo sa labas kung saan doon pinapalambot ang karne ng baka.