32: One Last Hug

JAY

Sunday is a free day. After doing my laundry in the morning, I laid down to my bed and played online games. Gano'n lamang ang ginawa ko sa maghapon. I was supposed to visit Dad but I thought of being lazy even for one day.

Unexpectedly, my game got interrupted by an unexpected call that made me got up from my bed and answered.

"Love!" I greeted.

"Hey, love." She replied. "How is Sunday doing?"

"You know, just, laying down the whole afternoon. I've been up since 10AM. How about yours?"

"Well, maybe I could interrupt your lazy Sunday for a dinner tonight?"

Napangiti ako doon. "Is the beauty queen herself Catriona Magnayon asking me out on a date?"

Then I heard her cheeky laugh again. "Yes, yes!"

Nang gabi ding iyon ay nagkita kami sa restaurant sa isang luxury integrated resort and casino complex sa Pasay City. I had my haircut done on a nearby barbershop. Sakto dahil isang buwan mahigit na rin noong huli akong nakapagpagupit. I chose this white pullover and black jeans for a casual dinner.

"Dinner for two." Sambit ko sa receptionist at dinala niya ako sa bahagi ng kainan kung saan sa katabi ng dingding na salamin ang lamesa.

I messaged Cat instantly that I have arrived. She said she was on her way kaya kinuha ko na ang menu para um-order. I chose tobanyaki, Bigeye Tuna sushi—that we often order in a Japanese resto—and Nobu Paella. Just a few minutes after placing our order, a women in her white body-hugging one strap dress entered the premises. Her long straight hair waved as she walked past other table until she reached mine. At habang nangyayari iyon, hindi na mawala ang ngiti sa aking mga labi.

"I'm glad you got the memo. " Me kidding because we are wearing the same color. She had her squeaky laugh as I approached her to kiss her cheek.

Our dinner is served right in time. If I may call it, this is our post-anniversary celebration. Pero kahit banggitin ko iyon, mukhang hindi na rin naman naalala pa ni Cat.

I haven't seen her this lively. We talked about how our jobs has been doing. Mostly, she shared on the tasks she was about to do for the organization and for the charities she supports. And the trainings she'll have prior to the international pageant.

"Every child I meet during our visits to the hospitals, charities, it warms my heart to see the smiles on their faces amidst of the situation. And these children should be given focus because they are the future of our generation."

"And maybe one of them may soon be in your shoes."

I moved to hold her hand. She looked down on it as she make way to my eyes. Caressed her fingers with my thumb. I missed her hand. I missed her warmth. Nakatitig lamang ako sa mga kamay niya na aking pinagsama at hinawakan. Hawak na tila ayaw nang pakawalan.

"I missed you, love." Namutawi sa aking bibig. "I missed you so much."

I looked up to see a little smile formed and her lips but her eyes says otherwise. Her eyes seemed in dismal.

"Why, love?"

Slowly, she pursed her lips and shook her head. Her eyes started to become watery and soon a tear fell from it. Sandali akong nag-alala at mabilis na pinunasan ito.

"May problema ka ba, love? Come on, you can share it. Makikinig ako."

Her grip from my hand loosen but I did not remove my grip.