24

Demrene's Point of View

Nang makarating ako sa tapat ng pinto ng condo unit namin, I saw Matt and Maddy outside of the door. There's also 2 or 3 man standing in front of them and I don't know who they are.

Parang sila yung sakay ng ambulance, they are wearing all white clothes just like a nurse.

Matt glanced at me, his eyes tight and worried, and Maddy, I saw she's crying. She tightly closed her eyes as she saw me walking towards them.

Hindi ko alam pero pabigat nang pabigat ang hakbang ko. I couldn't take another step when someone stepped out of the door, carrying a stretcher.

I dropped my bag on the floor and my heart skips a beat, I almost catch my breath and tears starting to fall down on my cheeks.

Nakita ko si Mama na umiiyak. Iniiyakan n'ya ang taong nakahiga sa stretcher na buhat ng dalawang lalaki.

Hindi ko magawang lumapit. I gulped so many times to control my tears from bursting. Nararamdaman ko na rin ang paglambot ng mga tuhod ko.

I hate what I'm thinking. I hope it was wrong... I am wrong... this was wrong!

Muntik na akong lumuhod dahil hindi ko na napigilan ang pagbagsak ng katawan ko when Mama looked at me with full of tears in her eyes, only her crying voice enter my whole damn ear.

I hate seeing Mama's crying. I feel so weak and going to faint.

She shake her head repeatedly and then bring her sight on the person inside the white blanket.

"Remain strong, Dem. Tita needs your energy, don't disappoint Tito. You need to be tough." Bulong ni Matt sa tabi ko.

He's the one who catches me when I'm about to fall.

Halos marinig ko na ang mabibigat at mabilis kong paghinga. I put my hand in my chest and crumpled my shirt when they stopped in front of me.

I bit my lower lip as hard as I can.