Chapter 16: Valerie

"Do you remember anything before?" The boss asked lightly as he stood beside her.

"A few..." Valerie murmured softly, looking away undauntedly.

He stared at her sideways and couldn't help but feel remorse after what happened to her a year ago till now. "I know an apology is not going to fix everything, but to make up for what I did, I truly meant what I said..."

Valerie didn't say anything as she gazed off towards the surface. "It's alright. You were under the mind control program."

"How did you know?"

"I heard the conversation earlier with you and your friends," she recalled and continued on, sighing in dullness. "Anyway, I don't know why I'm here for you again, so if you can enlighten me, then go for it."

The boss slightly scoffed and turned his head back to the front with a continuous smirk. "I guess you're right about her, Eugene. Your girlfriend has definitely improved."

Eugene gently placed his hand on her left shoulder, saying. "She's always been exceptional and there's nothing I ever want to change that."

Valerie silently looked at him in adoration and was given a quick peck on her cheek that made her beam a little.

Indubitably, she was never murdered since it was only a hoax to ensure that her enemies like Si-woo were not able to trace her remaining. The costume team had to use a counterfeit and create fake blood by making it seem more realistic, almost as if it was human, including the imitation of organs they implanted inside the wax figure. She couldn't be more grateful that she was helped by the other members as well and may recompense.

...

By the time it was noon, the trio and the seven members of K-East had entered the building where Taeyun asked for the girl's identification. The receptionist politely told him that there were no records of her and with that, he emitted out a sigh of disappointment.

"I'm sorry, but the phone number is inoperative, so I recommend you to speak to a file clerk."

"Jeez, not again..." Bryan slapped his forehead mentally.

"Miss, I think you may have other contact information about this other girl. You see, all of my friends only want to confirm if she's living somewhere in this area or not. Based on our research, her actual status is said to be in this location right here. She's been imposing as one of the Seoul high school students, Hyun Aera," Taeyun contended.

"Like I said, it's best that you should all discuss it with a file clerk. They are the ones who have the rest of the old materials that you're looking for," the receptionist uttered clearly.

Taeyun blinked his eyes and pressed his lips together in conjecture.

Jiyoo went up to her and interrogated further with a lull expression. "Do you have the calling card?"

"Yes, I have it," she responded and pulled it out of the holder as she gave it to him. "Here you go."

"Thank you," Jiyoo said as he took the card and read it discreetly.

"Now what?" Joon-wo muttered with a blank expression.

"We're going to have to call a file clerk," Taeyun suggested.

"So we just came all the way here for nothing?" Hwan shrugged.

"Not really, but we were able to get an answer," Min-Jun said.

"I was expecting we would find her already," Jaesang whined.

"It's not that easy. This will take us time-" Bryan stated, then stopped for a bit when his solar device was resounding from his hand. He turned it on and jolted. "Woah! She's-"

"What?! She's what?!" Sally demanded urgently.

"She's here..." Bryan said faintly and became confused. "But why is she there?"

"Where?" Joon-wo asked in puzzlement.

"The Lotte World," Bryan answered.

"That place? Isn't it temporarily closed?" Hwan raised his eyebrows oddly in puzzlement.

"Maybe she just wants to get some air or take a look at the park," Joon-wo said.

"What makes you say that?" He queried.

"Because one of my friends goes there during his free time."

"So why don't we ask them?" Min-Jun indicated.

"There's no need for that. We can simply head onto that area," Jiyoo noted.

"What are we waiting for? Let's hurry," Jaesang urged on, whereas Ryung secretly observed his friends in the corner of his eyes and raised his phone up as he began to subtly text someone at an obscure level in which Jin noticed.

...

The daylight was rising up against the sea that glistened the waves of the water and radiating every corner of the mountains. The car was speeding up a little while Eugene's hands gripped onto the steering wheel to drive smoothly on the road. Valerie was sitting next to him, whereas the boss stayed in the backseat.

"Have they all eaten?" He asked.

"They did and have made arrangements," Eugene replied.

"Ah, they're ahead early, eh? That's very unexpected and gratifying to hear."

"It's what you wanted," he said.

"Of course," the boss smirked in an appreciative manner. He turned over to look at the side of Valerie's head and went on. "Last year was definitely horrendous and knowing that I was not in my own state of mind by putting FEA in a fake scandal and setting the Jeju Island on fire was something that I truly felt rueful and iniquitous."

He paused for a bit to wait for her response, but she continued to stare at the front window in silence. He breathed out through his nostrils and folded his hands, saying. "Look, I'm not here to pressure you to talk. However, if there's anything you've been experiencing or that you may have recalled, I would be happy to listen..."

"No. What is it that you want me to do?" Valerie asked jadedly.

"Huh?"

"You heard me... As I've said previously, I don't remember at all and neither the ones you had mentioned," she declared firmly.

"Alright, alright. I was only asking about your well-being and that is 'if' you are willing to," the boss chuckled.

"I already answered, didn't I? Another subject matter would be copacetic, thanks," Valerie pointed out and turned a little sideways to look at him dully. "I should have asked you the same question since you claimed that you were not in your own mindset."

Eugene, on the other hand, was listening to them as his eyes were fixated cautiously on his driving. Though, he did not want to meddle into their conversation.

The boss scoffed in satisfaction and smiled faintly. "Just as I thought. You have stepped into a new level. Don't worry, your lover boy has given me strict orders. We are almost here."

The three of them made their way to the entrance gate of the private building as Eugene parked the car on the driveway. Within an instant, they all got out of the vehicle and saw the rest of the group members, who were talking amongst each other.

Valerie observed them and started to become a little hesitant to approach them.

"Come on now. Don't tell me you're giving up," The boss said in exasperation.

"I never said I was, nor did I come to agree to your terms just yet..." She retorted back and continued to walk away from him. Her demeanor became very irreconcilable as her eyes were set upon the road.

"No matter how many times they try to kill me, they will never defeat the unbreakable ones...

The ones with the past full of scars and wounds...

They all think I'm dead,

But I'm still alive...

And this is far from over..."