Chapter 9: Love Lies

One week later...

...

...

...

The guest speakers recited an opening prayer and went on to share their stories. And black was the color that showed grief and sorrow over the young woman, lying peacefully in the open casket. A couple of white roses were displayed on both sides as everyone else was sitting down and listening to the priest talking during the ceremony. Bryan's arm was consoling Ava, who was crying silently, including Sally being comforted by Min-Jun at the front view.

The seven members made their own speeches on the podium where they glanced back and forth at the audience and the person they've considered as a friend.

"Last year before my group and I patched things up, Valerie usually came into my restaurant and helped me finish baking the cupcakes and desserts. Let me tell you, she does great in the catering service and could impress Baek Jong-won," Joon-wo spoke calmly with a smile, causing them to chuckle in the background. He continued on when he held a small pin in his hand, saying. "I would have given her a simple token of gratitude if she was here or at least, before she walked out of that door. She will be missed..."

He then stepped back and looked at Min-Jun, who gently moved a few steps and spoke in a monotonous tone. "When I was at my basketball practice in the gym, she came in and started asking me questions that soon turned into a conversation that I'd never expected. I realized that she was very determined and open-minded to the things she can and will do. She was somebody that anyone can depend on and will listen to."

Ryung formed his lips in a thin line and nodded curtly. "I remember the time when she surprised me with a gift set of my two favorite movies. She was a giver rather than a taker and for that, I'm grateful to know her..." He gestured to the other member to take the spot.

Hwan then cleared his throat and said in desolation. "Hmm... I-uh, I genuinely agree with what you've all said and it's true... Valerie is exceptional, thoughtful, and daring because she is one of the people who love to go on adventures, especially when we took a trip to Jeju Island. That was an incredibly fun time for us. She didn't allow herself to be affected by whatever rocks that were being thrown at her. And instead, she chose to keep standing on her ground. What I will always remember is how easygoing she is with others and her smile." With that being said, he turned his head away and stood in the back.

Jiyoo moved forward and adjusted the microphone gooseneck. He held onto his paper and surveyed carefully before he cited. "Recently, I was up all night, thinking about what to write and then, it just hit me to the point where I should express what's in the bottom of my heart. How I see her is not because of the way she was dressed formally or casually, but what I see is her admiration towards everything. You know, nature, birds, plants, and flowers. She really loves to take photos of them and it's because she told me that it's her hobby. I know what I've said to her for the past year was not very pleasant and for that I'm sorry to her friends; Bryan, Sally and Ava..."

"It's okay," Bryan shook his head dismissively after mouthing the words in a whisper.

"To my utmost respect, I will live up to this day to honor her memory..." Jiyoo said earnestly, then looked at his best friend, who made his way to the platform.

"Umm... Prior to my encounters with Valerie, I didn't know she was working as a private detective until she introduced herself to us and she was also my virtual friend. Ironically, we were both playing the PUBG game and did a face reveal together. It was shocking to me because I never imagined that it would be her, so I would like to thank her for that and I hope to see you on the other side," Taeyun murmured lightly with a peace sign. He did not seem to be fazed as he tilted his head below, which made Jiyoo notice at a slight peak of curiosity.