Matty turned to Bill.

"I'll see you at home," Bill told her, as he walked away.

When he reached the road, he turned to see Matty and Silas sitting on the grass, on Williams' Hill.

~~~~~

It was mid afternoon by the time that Matty returned to the lighthouse.

When she walked in the living room, she saw Nanny Dove talking to Tuckamore Bay's oldest resident, Linda Tucker.

Linda Tucker

"Where is Bill?"

"He's bes restin' child," Linda Tucker informed her. She patted the couch.

"Come, sit with Matilda and I."

Matty went to the small bar first and poured a large drink.

"Would you like one Linda?"

"I wud child, but de old stomach can't be takin' da 'ard stuff anymore."

She held up a beer.

"Ise be sipping' on dis."

Matty sat on the couch.

"Did you know that there were Williams' that were among the first families of the Bay?"

Linda nodded.

"My grandmother, she be a Williams, but da last man Williams left da Bay a long time ago. Ise were but a child when 'e did.

And 'e never comes back to da Bay, so for da last 75 year or so, dere bes no Williams' in da Bay, 'till now."

Matty lit a cigarette. She stared at Nanny Dove.

"Not a word old lady."

She looked back at Linda.

"I just had the most incredible talk with the spirit of Silas Williams."

Nanny Dove nodded.

"Ise felt dat the spirits of da hill were awake."

"You knew of them? Why wouldn't you tell me or better yet, tell Bill."

"Matty, dey bes old spirits. Dey 'ave been at rest fer a long time and even now, dey would not 'ave come awake, ifin dey did not 'ave to get Bill back on da right path."