Prologue (Uraraka)

Everyone with a Quirk is born with a Soul Mark. After the first Quirk and Soul Mark appeared, there's been mounds of experiments and research studies performed. Although a lot has been discovered about Quirks, little is still known about Soul Marks. Only the basics are known.

Why or how they are connected to Quirks is unclear but there is speculation. Some believe that it means the two Bonded are Soul Mates and that the Quirk combination inherited by their offspring is meant to create stronger Quirks. Others, like myself, believe it's part of something beyond our understanding.

A person and their Soul Bond's Marks match. Research has shown that every pair of Soul Marks are different. Nothing is known about why a Soul Mark looks the way it does and how it connects to the two that are Bonded. Before one meets their Soul Bond, the marks are black. Once their eyes meet, it activates and changes to a color or colors that bear significance between them. Should one of them die, the mark turns dark gray.

In this superhuman society where 80% of the population has some special ability, exposing your Soul Mark is normal. However, it is common for a hero to always cover their Soul Mark. As a hero, to allow a villain such knowledge as to who your Soul Bond is, gives them leverage against you and can put your Soul Bond in grave danger, if not condemn them to death.

I never gave it much thought to how much fate can intervene in one's life, until now. It can be a fucking mess. Hell, look at me, even his foul language has rubbed off on to me a bit. I guess years of knowing someone can affect you in ways you wouldn't expect.

While growing up, my parents, who are Soul Bound, always told me how beautiful and strong a Soul Bond can be. They would always tell me, "You'll never experience anything more powerful in this world, you'll do or be anything for this person."

On the downside of Soul Bonds, I've been told that after the Bond is fully mature and complete when one Bonded person dies and the other lives on, it is the most painful thing anyone can experience and is like losing half of yourself.

My Soul Mark was seven interconnecting circles. One in the center and the other six connecting in the middle of the center circle, making it look almost like a flower. As a young child, I loved it and thought it was so beautiful. I couldn't wait to find out who my Soul Bond was.

When time passed and I grew older, I started to understand the struggles my parents endured, I became determined to help them. They sacrificed so much and deserved early retirement. In that regard, I decided that becoming a famous Pro Hero would be the best option. If a Hero is popular enough, the pay is exponential.

My quirk wasn't flashy or anything but if I played my cards right, I could get myself noticed. It would just take a lot of hard work and plenty of studying on my part to get into the most prestigious Hero School in all of Japan, U.A. High.

I never told anyone, except my Soul Bond, that for years, I'd look at my black Soul Mark on my left wrist with contempt. Every adult in my life who had a Soul Bond, were married and living normal civilian lives. What my parents had was beautiful but it wasn't for me. I had much bigger goals in life than to just settle down and live a mundane life with someone.

When I decided to pursue the path of a Pro Hero, I began to hide my Soul Mark. I tried bracelets, gloves, and makeup. None of them seemed to work in hiding my Mark or they just got in the way of my daily activities. I eventually settled with weight training wristbands. There was no harm in building up muscle. It'd be an early start to my future as a hero.

Years after meeting each other, he told me that he felt a similar contempt about his Soul Mark. He had a powerful Quirk and the potential and desire to be greater than All Might. He also shared that because of his Quirk, he couldn't wear normal gloves as a child, so he also settled for weight training wristbands to conceal his Soul Mark as well. I can see now that even before we met, we had similarities.

We were both following our dreams to become Pro Heroes. When it happened, the activation of our Soul Marks wasn't entirely unexpected, just unwanted and we treated it as such. I won't deny that I had always wondered what kind of person my Soul Bond was like. It's safe to say that he sure wasn't what I was expecting. He was hot-headed, prideful, cussed like a fiend, and just a downright ass at times, especially to my best friend Deku, but he always treated me as an equal when everyone else saw me as frail.

I wasn't what he expected either. Even though he rejected Soul Bonds altogether, he was hoping that his Soul Bond could be someone who would assist him with becoming the best hero. When we first met, he considered me weak and cursed fate for Bonding him to someone so pathetic.

It is true what my parents said about doing or being anything for your Soul Bond. Nothing can compare to a Soul Bond and even though we rejected our Bond, fate continued to play with us and continued to draw us together in one way or another until Bakugo and I became what the other needed.

Through each other and our friends, we learned what it means to be Bonded. It's so much more than we originally thought.

----------------------------------------

This and the Epilogue will be the only parts written in Uraraka's POV. It's planned that way for a reason.

Please review

-JFDragonFire

--------------------------------------

THEIR SOUL MARK