chapter fifteen | documenting the journey to dangerous territory

Start from the beginning

"Oh, wow. That's definitely more than just a VHS tape," Chris whispered, leaning forward to take a closer look. I nodded mutely. Wow was right. I could only see so much from just this angle, but there were a whole bunch of things inside. I caught a glimpse of fabric from a piece of clothing, an item wrapped in bubble wrap, and a party size packet of M&M's. On top of everything was a letter.

Darcy,

I hope this letter finds you and Richard happy and healthy. Fortunately, I found the VHS tape up in my attic, lumped in with a collection of things our family has hoarded over the years. I thought I'd send over a few of my sister's things from when she was younger. You have no memory of Eve, so I thought I'd leave pieces of her memory with you. I think your Papa would appreciate it, too. A few photographs, a wooden gazelle carved from our grandfather, a jar of seashells she collected throughout our family trips to the beach, and a book of bedtime fairy tales she'd ask our Nana to read to her. You will also find a dress that Evellyn adored. She loved to spin around in our room wearing it. I had it cleaned before I sent it to you but, otherwise, it's in great condition. I think it may fit you with a few alterations, if needed.  There's a matching set of pearl jewelry, too. Maybe you can wear it on the big day. You'd look darling. Please let me know the date of the celebration. I'd love to come and watch. I'd also like to take you up on that complimentary food and drink from your cafe.

Thank you – for all that you're doing. I wish Eve could have met you.

Take care,

Aunt Suzie

I bit my lip. Aunt Suzie. I've never called her that before. She's never said to.

Swallowing the lump from my throat, I reached for the dress first and stood as I lifted it from the box. It was an all black fit and flare style dress. It had a long, flowy pleated skirt, a modest v-neckline, and small ribbon tied at the waist. I held it up to myself and took a look in the standing floor mirror by the front door.

"It's beautiful," I murmured, running my fingers from the bodice and down the length of the skirt. I could understand why Evellyn adored this dress and why she loved to take it for a whirl. The pleated skirt was light-weight and fluid. With movement, it would look gorgeous. I couldn't help but take a turn for myself, even if I was merely holding it up to my body. I closed my eyes and spun once, then twice, enjoying the feel of the cool fabric as it glided with me. When I opened my eyes, they connected with stormy blue ones. Chris remained on the floor against the couch, one hand propping his head as he watched me intently, a small smile playing at the corner of his lips.

"It is," he said.

I blinked. "What is?"

He held my gaze. "Beautiful."

My cheeks blazed. I broke our eye connection. "Oh, right. It is. It was Evellyn's. Suzie thought I could wear it during the dance. I'll have to see if it fits." I draped the fabric over my arm and went back to sit next to him, careful to avoid eye contact as I rummaged through the rest of the box. Inside one of the bubble wraps was the small gazelle sculpture, carved from a light wood. Aside from the tip of its left horn missing, the animal was poised, tall, and elegant. As someone who was always in the ocean rather than the sand, I found myself fascinated by the jar containing the collection of seashells. Beneath it was the children's fairytale picture book, worn and pretty tattered. The edges of the book's hard cover was peeling, and the book's spine had begun to crack. No matter, though. These signs of constant use meant that this book had been well loved through many years. Tucked onto the side of the box was a manila envelope that held four old photos of Evellyn at different ages: one as a baby, two as a young child, and one of her as a teenager. The last thing was the VHS tape.