chapter eighteen | documenting the perfect day with him

hiiiii. i think i could cry writing this. i missed you guys so much. it's been so, so long. i feel awful that it's been so long, but i've been hurting so much. these past seven months have been the most painful, sad, anxious/stress-filled months of my entire life. so how wonderful does it feel to be posting this. more on it later. kindly let me know of any typos/mistakes. i'm editing this at 3 am. i hope you enjoy xx

✦✧✦

"Can you feel the love tonight? You needn't look too far. Stealing through the night's uncertainties, love is where they are." 

— Lion King

✦✧✦

If I had it my way, I would have added hours more to our flight

If I had it my way, I would have added hours more to our flight. With the horizon still shaded in black and the majority of passengers fast asleep, there was nothing but having Chris's undivided attention that made me wish we were taking a trip around the world.

I couldn't quite explain it, but there was a shift in the air between us. Maybe it was subtle, but there was a shift all the same. I could feel it in the ways our bodies leaned towards each other, or the way our hands found a way to brush or hold the other. Even in the dim lighting of Chris's tablet and the singular reading light above us, I saw a soft fondness in the way Chris watched me as I took my turn on his number block app game or doodled something on a sketch app. In turn, I felt like I was looking at him the same way.

The feeling of drowsiness that blanketed me earlier at home had been yanked away the moment my eyes met his stormy blue ones. Instead, those feelings were replaced with a sense of warmth and ease. It spread throughout my body like a rich, warm drink on a bitter, frosty day. There was also an enormous surge of fluffy crush related thoughts floating in my brain, but I let them stay. I didn't care. He deserved all the awe and adoration that I was thinking but couldn't possibly say. But most of all, amongst all the silly lovey-dovey thoughts, was so much gratitude. And that, I could help but express by wrapping my arms around his left arm and resting my head on his shoulder; it was the best hug I could give him with a clunky armrest between us.

"Thank you so much," I murmured.

His hand found both of my own as his head rested on the crown of my head. "In this together, Darce."

And that's how we stayed, content and nestled against each other, until we were jolted awake by the plane touching down.